46 ; pathetic

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 46

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

A gleam of fear flashed through Pettigrew's eyes.

"S-Sirius . . . R-Remus . . ." Even Pettigrew's voice was squeaky. Again, his eyes darted toward the door. "My friends . . . my old friends . . ."

Black's wand arm rose, but Lupin seized him around the wrist, gave him a warning look, then turned again to Pettigrew, his voice light and casual.

"We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed –"

"Remus," gasped Pettigrew, and Y/N could see beads of sweat breaking out over his pasty face, "you don't believe him, do you . . . ? He tried to kill me, Remus. . . ."

Black's face looked more skull-like than ever as he stared at Pettigrew with his fathomless eyes.

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," said Lupin.

"Sorted things out?" squealed Pettigrew, looking wildly about him once more, eyes taking in the boarded windows and, again, the only door. "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban?" said Lupin, his brow furrowed. "When nobody has ever done it before?"

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of?" Pettigrew shouted shrilly. Yeah, you'd dream of them, wouldn't you, Y/N thought bitterly. "How else did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks!"

Black started to laugh, a horrible, mirthless laugh that filled the whole room.

"Voldemort, teach me tricks?" he said.

Pettigrew flinched as though Black had brandished a whip at him.

"What, scared to hear your old master's name?" said Black. "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius –" muttered Pettigrew, his breathing faster than ever. His whole face was shining with sweat now.

Y/N watched as Pettigrew denied almost every accusation Black and Lupin threw at him – and then tried to claim Sirius Black was the spy for Voldemort.

Black's face contorted.

"How dare you," he growled, sounding suddenly like the bear-sized dog he had been. "I, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself. But you, Peter – I'll never understand why I didn't see you were the spy from the start. You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you? It used to be us . . . me and Remus . . . and James. . . . And occasionally even those Slytherin boys we were friends with. . . . Anyone you could find, you hid behind. . . ."