84 ; headquarters

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 84

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"What's the Order of the — ?" Harry began.

"Not here, boy!" snarled Moody. "Wait till we're inside!"

He pulled the piece of parchment with the address out of Harry's hand and set fire to it with his wand-tip. Y/N rolled her eyes at his theatrics and dramaticness. If the fake Moody was mad, then this man was off-the-rails deranged.

"But where's — ?"

Lupin whispered something to Harry that Y/N — who was impatiently holding the heavy trunk with one arm and Hedwig's cage with the other — didn't catch.

Finally, a battered door emerged out of nowhere between numbers eleven and thirteen, followed swiftly by dirty walls and grimy windows. It was as though a extra house had inflated, pushing those on either side out of its way. The stereo in number eleven thudded on. Apparently, the Muggles inside hadn't even felt anything. They never did.

"Come on, hurry," growled Moody up ahead, prodding an offended Harry in the back.

The idiot walked up the worn stone steps, staring at the door, whose black paint was shabby and scratched. The silver door knocker was in the form of a twisted serpent; there was no keyhole or letterbox.

Lupin pulled out his wand and tapped the door once. Many loud, metallic clinks and a chain sliding sounded quietly behind the wooden slab. The door creaked open.

"Get in quick, Harry," Lupin whispered. "But don't go far inside and don't touch anything."

Y/N and the rest of the Advance Guard filed in after a reluctant Harry into the damp and dusty hall, which was dark and rotted. Moody stood at the top step of the stairs and released the balls of light the Put-Outer had stolen from the streetlamps; they flew back to their bulbs and the square beyond glowed momentarily with orange light before Moody limped inside and closed the front door, so that the darkness in the hall became complete.

"Here —"

He tapped the outline of Harry over the head with his wand; almost instantaneously did Harry fully reappear, with the Disillusionment Charm having been lifted.

"Now stay still, everyone, while I give us a bit of light in here," Moody whispered.

Light appeared in the hallway and soon did Ron's mother, Mrs. Weasley. She was beaming in welcome as she hurried toward them, though noticeably thinner and paler since the beginning of the summer. Y/N was sure she looked just as exhausted, but lucky for them, nobody mentioned it. The first person who did was hexed.

"Oh, Harry, it's lovely to see you!" she whispered, pulling him into a tight hug before holding him at arm's length. Y/N and Tonks set down his stuff; Tonk's made a face at Harry, earning a hint of a smile from Y/N. "You're looking peaky; you need feeling up, but you'll have to wait a bit for dinner, I'm afraid . . ."