79 ; the portkey cup

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 2 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 79

The next ten or so minutes were relatively quiet for Y/N as she navigated her way through the maze, taking as many paths leading northwest as she could. She figured she was far ahead of the other champions, because she hadn't heard a whisper of life since her escape from the angry hippogriff, which unnerved her greatly. Wasn't she supposed to be struggling by now?

But then, as she turned the corner, a high-pitched, twittering song scratched her ears. Throwing her hands to her ears, Y/N dropped to the ground, feeling a looming sense of madness overcoming her, driving her down a path of hysteria as she listened. Looking up, the blurred outline of what she recognized to be a fwooper flapped overhead, its lime green face glaring down at her.

How was she supposed to fight against something like that?

Sucking in a breath, Y/N kept her hands over her ears as she let out her highest, blood-curdling scream. She wouldn't be surprised if the people all the way from the Quidditch Pitch could hear, but she didn't care as she continued to let out her breath, overriding the fwooper's song in her ears and pulling her back to the path of stability. The fwooper in return raised its voice but, running out of air, Y/N stood and pointed her wand at it, taking a breath to shout,

"Silencio!"

At once, all sound stopped, and a hair-raising chill swept over Y/N as dead silence cut the air. The fwooper, now realizing it no longer could sing, glared at Y/N once more before shooting into the hedges, disappearing.

Y/N stumbled about to the end of the path, a loud ringing taking over her ears and stinging her brain. Her throat burned. Turning the corner, the ringing became more and more prominent and, fearing the fwooper had reached its goal to drive her to insanity, Y/N dropped to the ground and clutched her head tightly.

"Get up. Get up, now. Get to the cup. Come back to me."

Draco's voice shattered the ringing in Y/N's ear, and even as his voice faded away, it never returned. Looking up to the sky, his constellation twinkled down at her, and a strong sense of calm washed over her. What was that? How could he talk to her through the maze?

Stumbling hastily about, boredom overcame Y/N as half an hour passed with no more obstacles in her path, which made her period of tranquility very short-lived. Why had she only encountered two things? It was too good to be true. And how could she be bored in a situation like this?

And then — and then she saw the cup, a few meters away from her. Surely it wasn't that easy . . . was it? It couldn't be —

But, ignoring the looming feeling of dread, Y/N found herself reaching out for the base of the cup, only realizing that Harry and Cedric had also grabbed the cup once her feet had left the ground. She, however, could not unclench the hand holding the Triwizard Cup; it was pulling her onward in a howl of wind and swirling color, Harry and Cedric at her sides.