Chapter 95

Matt's POV

After spending the last couple hours with our friends, the firehouse left and we decided to have supper with Antonio and his family. This was exactly how I wanted to end the day, with my family. It was now just me and Antonio in the kitchen, me learning one of the family recipes so that I could make it for Gabby while she recovers. That's when Antonio spoke up.

"So listen Matt, I know this is a hard topic but....I wanted to thank you for standing up to your sister on my family's behalf." I turned to look at him and nodded. "Hey, we are family. Matteo is the son of immigrants. That is a fact. I can't have my sister disrespecting her nephew that way. And I couldn't have her disrespect you that way, especially when you were a cop."

Antonio nodded and smiled. "Honestly, at least now you see how hard it is to live here as immigrants. I honestly choked up after Gabby told me what she said because it hit really close to home. Sure, she was saying it about Gabby and Matteo but...I couldn't help but also hear it being said about my family because we are related."

I nodded and sighed, moving to hug him to give him some comfort. "Come here brother." We both held each other close, me showing him a bunch of respect. "I am just sorry I didn't learn about this the first time me and Gabby were married. Honestly, stuff has just gotten so crazy in this country....people need to calm down and respect each other."

Antonio nodded again before smiling when he heard Eva walk in, using her cell phone to listen to music and play games. "Eva! Earth to Eva!" She turned to look at us before taking out her earbuds. "Yes?" Antonio then smiled at her. "How about instead of listening to music, you talk to your aunt. You haven't seen her in a long time? Or your uncle Matt?"

Eva looked at me and just shrugged, going to get some water before going back to her music. Antonio then turned to me and chuckled. "And that my friend, is what you should expect when Matteo becomes a teenager." I looked at him and chuckled. "Not looking forward to that." He nodded and smiled. "Let's get this food ready so we can eat as a family."

I nodded one last time and smiled as we finished up a nice family meal.