Chapter 44 Taking the Next Step

Elias and Matt walked into Logan's office. Matt immediately sat down in front of the large mahogany desk. He watched his grandfather walk around the office that once belonged to him before Mitchum became the CEO. He stopped in front of the glass case that hung on the back wall behind the desk.

"Logan," Elias barked, "Call Morgan Design and have them come over and completely renovate this room. I want to see the awards you won in that glass case. Get rid of these ugly paintings and box up all the awards that your father displayed. The next time I walk in here, I want to see major changes."

Logan glanced over at his cousin and smirked. "I'll get right to it, Gramps," Logan replied. Matt sat back, suppressing a laugh.

Clearing his throat, Elias looked directly at Logan, "Logan, we have a lot to do before next week. Pull up the files you have on the London office."

Logan sat down at his desk and opened the files for the three newspapers he had been in charge of in London. He also pulled up the resume for Christopher Mac Laughlin, his assistant editor now at the newspaper.

Looking at his grandfather, Matt raised his eyebrows, "Are we going to wait for Uncle Alec?"

"No, we will catch Alec up when he comes in," Elias answered.

In the hallway beside the conference room, Alec was talking with his sisters and Honor. "After this meeting, I will pick up Kat, and we can meet at the St. James Restaurant. "

"Where is this restaurant?" Millie asked him.

"It's in Stars Hollow at the Dragonfly Inn. Kate and I have a suite in Stars Hollow at the Annex, part of the Dragonfly Inn. The restaurant and Inn have received many awards, most recently it received the Best Choice award in the Yankee Magazine, and the restaurant was honored with a five-star Michelin rating."

"It's quite popular, and I heard it's hard to get reservations," Honor added.

"Alec, are you sure we can get in?" Meredith asked.

"Because I'm a guest at the Inn, we won't have any problems. I will text Kat now and have her make a reservation." Alec pulled out his phone and began to send his wife a text. "How does two o'clock sound?" he asked, looking around at his sisters.

"Will that give you enough time at this meeting with Dad, Logan, and Matt?" his sister Meredith asked.

Alec glanced at his gold Rolex on his wrist. "I'm sure that dad will finish this meeting before noon. At lunch, we can talk and discuss what we need to do at Cider Brook."

"Alec, it's been years since any of us have been to Cider Brook. We will need to hire a staff, a cleaning service, and a landscape company before he moves in," Millie remarked. "Maybe we should go there first and check it out."

"I agree with Millie. Who knows what condition the property is in," Meredith added.

Looking at his niece, he asked, "Honor, do you know who closed up the house at Cider Brook when your father moved Gramps to Trinity Hill?"

"Dad left mom to deal with everything. Once he admitted Gramps to the nursing facility, he flew back to London. I know mom went over there every day supervising the cleaning service she hired. She made sure the furniture was covered and let go of the staff, writing recommendations for them so they could get new jobs."

Reaching over, Honor touched her aunt's arm and continued, "I don't think that will be a problem, Aunt Millie. I can contact the agency mom hired and the landscape company we use. I am sure I can get someone there by tomorrow. We might have to have the Thanksgiving dinner catered, though."