Chapter 49 Moving Forward

Walking over to Paris's car, Jess opened the passenger door for Rory. "It's early, so where to now?" He asked.

"Why don't we head over to my dad's, and we can sit and talk."

"Sounds good to me." They quickly got into his car and headed to the expressway. Parking the car in the driveway of the old Colonial on Nortmoor Rd., they got out of the car and entered the kitchen through the mudroom. Rory turns on the kitchen light and heads to the kitchen counter. "Jess, "Would you like a cup of coffee? We have Star Bucks, Pike Place, Star Bucks Sumatra, or Eight O'clock."

"I'll have Pike Place," Jess replied.

Rory placed a mug on the Keurig and added the Pike Place pod then pushed the button. The Keurig made its spitting noise, then handed him the mug filled with the coffee. She then brews another cup, telling him, "The cream is in the refrigerator and the sugar is on the counter. Help yourself."

Jess walked to the kitchen counter and fixed his coffee. He followed Rory to the oak table in the kitchen nook.

Taking a sip of his coffee, he looked over the mug at her. "Ror, what's going on with Logan? I saw him staring at you in the restaurant."

"I really thought that now that he was going to be married, I wouldn't have him in my life anymore. But here he is back in Hartford. Today he was at the law offices of Hayden, Ryan, and McCrae. "

"What do you want to happen?" Jess asked her, putting his cup down.

"I don't know." Rory stirs her coffee cup and sighs. "You know Jess, the morning I said goodbye to him, I felt relieved. That part of my life was now over and I could rebuild my life and career. Then, the unthinkable happened."

She looked up at the ceiling and blinked. Taking in a deep breath, she sighed. "He charmed his way back into my life, and I so wanted to believe that he had changed and he really loved me. But I was wrong, and I hurt Finn." She stared into her coffee cup and blinks. A tear slips from her eye down her cheek and Jess reaches across the table and wipes it.

She looks up at him and gives him a small grin. "You and Finn are so good to me. I don't deserve your friendship."

"Never say that. I've got your back and I will always be here for you."

Rory grasps his hand. "Thanks Jess. When I returned to my office after my meetings, Logan left an envelope for me."

"What did he want?" Jess asked.

"I don't know?"

"Did you open it?"

Rory shook her head. "No. I put it in my desk drawer.

Jess looked at her and said, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes," Rory said, taking a sip from her mug.

"Are you happy?"

"Yes. I'm glad I came back and now I live close to Luke and Mom, so I can see them when I need to. I have a relationship with my father and Grandmother Francine, and I'm excited to work at Hayden Publishing."

"And Tristan?" Jess asked her.

She looked at Jess and reached across the table, and squeezed his hand in hers.

"I never thought I would see Tristan again after he left for Military School so long ago. Then there he was: at my lowest point. There was always something between us and it never happened. I was young. You and Dean were the only two boys I had ever dated. Paris told me once that I had a type."