Chapter 37 Memories on Charter Oak

Chapter 37 - Memories on Charter Oak

Rory and Lorelai walked through the lobby and out of the main entrance of 777 Main St. Rory turned around and looked up at the beautiful glass and steel building with its 30 floors. Does she want to live in a place like this? Lorelai looped her hand in her daughter's arm, and they walked to where Al was waiting for them.

"Do you want to see some other units?" Al asked, "I have a townhouse on Charter Oak Place and some two-bedroom units at Hartford 21. It's another of the Morgan & Morgan renovations."

"Mom, what do you think?" Rory asked her.

"I think it's a good idea to have some choices." Lorelai turned and looked at her daughter as she pushed her hair away from her face.

"Okay, the townhouse sounds interesting," Rory said, looking at her mother.

"Does it have outdoor space?" Lorelai asked.

"Yes, and so does Hartford 21 and Capewell Lofts. They both have landscaped patio areas available for their tenants."

"Ror, I think it would be a good idea to look at those units." The wind was picking up, and there was a chill in the air as they stood outside talking.

"Okay," Rory responded, pulling her jacket together and hugging herself. "Should we follow you in my car?" Rory asked him.

"My car is right here in the parking garage. Why don't you both come with me, and I will bring you back here to pick up your cars," Al said. Rory and Lorelai quickly followed Al to the parking garage, where they got out of the wind. He led them over to his white Volvo and opened the passenger doors for them. They climbed in as Al walked around the car. Starting the car, he pulled out of the garage onto Main St. It took them ten minutes to arrive at 36 Charter Oak Place, where Al parked in front of an elegant historical home.

"I can't believe it," Lorelai whispered. Stepping out of the car, Lorelai stood on the sidewalk, remembering herself as a little girl running up these porch steps.

The elegant house was divided into two two-story townhouses, each with separate entryways. The original large white columns flanked the identical white oak doors that stood side by side. Al opened the door, where a coat tree stood in one corner of an elegant entranceway. A table with a glass bowl stood beside it with a gilded mirror hanging on the wall above it. The girls waited while Al opened the double glass door that led them into a hallway.

Standing beside her Mother, Rory smiled when she saw the beautiful oak staircase that led them to the next level. On the left was a pocket door. Al slid the door open to reveal the large formal living room. Lorelai gasped and immediately walked over to the original fireplace. She reached out, running her hand across the mantel. She could visualize the photographs and brick a brack that decorated this room.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Rory asked.

"Oh nothing, I'm just picturing this room as it once was."

Lorelai slowly walked around the room, smiling as vivid memories returned to her as a young child. She was sitting in this room with her father and grandfather listening to music.

"Lorelai, sit down.! Stop twirling and jumping around the room. You will break something." Emily scolded her daughter when she entered the room with Trix.

Lorelai stood still, putting her head down pouting when her mother scolded her. She had been twirling around like a ballerina. Her long brown ringlets were flying around her face as she showed her father and grandfather the new dance she had made up.