We're Just Waiting For The Hammer To Fall - Part 2

A/N -  Just a reminder that Milhanger is the name of the property that Brian and Roger own and reside at.  

23rd October 1984

London

Brian's POV

It was supposed to a goodwill trip as far as we were concerned.  But the reaction from the press and even some fans had not been positive.  We had heard a lot of criticism before we left but what we faced upon our return showed our tour of South Africa had been poor judgement.  We all stood and faced a barrage of press as we tried to leave the airport in London.  They went at us with questions about where we stood politically in regards to apartheid and if we worried our fans would desert us for choosing to play in a segregated country.  They weren't interested in listening to the actual experience we had there; they just wanted to get a reaction from us about the bad press we were seeing about our choice to play Sun City.  Jim finally got us untangled from the press corps and ushered to our waiting cars. 

"Go home and get some rest and I will call you in a few days..."  Jim instructed.  "Don't answer your phones..."  he advised.  Freddie and Jim and Deacy took one limo to go straight into London and Roger and I took a separate car to get to Surrey.  We sat tired and a bit shell shocked from dealing with the press and didn't say much on the ride to Milhanger.   After being dropped off with our luggage we went inside.

"At least this bunch will be friendly to us..."  Roger said wearily as he closed the front door behind us.  "Anybody home?"  he shouted as I sat down my rucksack and thought about a nice hot bath.    Roger got no response.  I checked my watch.

"Mia's probably picking up the kids..."  I commented as we stood in the silence.  I figured Clare was working in her office and couldn't hear us from her quarters at the other end of the house.  

"I'll go see if Clare is here..."  I offered.  Roger nodded as he picked up a suitcase.  

"Alright..." he responded.  "I'm headed up for a shower..."  he advised.  I walked through the empty house and realized it was unusual to be here with no one else about.  It was always bustling with activity.  Mia and the children or the odd housekeeper about.  The gardener or a delivery person.   I reached Clare's quarters and heard the sound of her on the telephone.

"I think I could manage to get away..."  I heard her tell someone.  "They get back sometime today and I can look at the schedule..."  she explained.  I tapped on the door frame and she looked up at me.  A broad smile formed on her face and she gestured at me to come in her office.  "Brian just walked in so I need to call you back..."  she informed her caller.  "Alright..."  she said and hung up.  She got up from her desk and I met her halfway to share a hug and a kiss.

"How was your flight?"  she asked as we parted.  

"The flight was fine but our reception at the airport was tiring..."  I answered.  She formed a cringy expression.  

"So the press was there...huh?"  she asked and I nodded as I leaned against the wall and she returned to her seat.  

"They were...and full of their usual vitriol..."  I advised.  

"Sorry..."  she said but I just shrugged.   

"We survived..."  I replied.  I was curious about her phone call and decided to ask her about it.  "So I heard you telling someone you could get away...."  I began.  "Are you taking some time off?  Going somewhere with Alli?"  I enquired.  She liked to get away with her best friend when time permitted.  We've been busy with our tour and new album so she's had a lot on her plate.  I noted a somewhat embarrassed grin on Clare's face.