Hot Space...Let's Go! - Part 5

27th July 1982

New York City

Roger's POV

"Where is he?"  I asked Deacy as we all waited in the limousine for Freddie.  

"I'm not his keeper...that would be Paul's job these days..."  he said back with annoyance.  His eyes seemed darker.  "I am sure we can assume Bill has something to do with it..."  he remarked snidely.  The three of us shared a look of disdain at the mention of Freddie's boyfriend's name.  Bill Reid.  Freddie had met him earlier in the year during a trip to New York.  In a club.   Bill had visited numerous times in Munich and London before our tour began.  Since we went on the road he had been a permanent fixture.  He had also become a growing concern to us all.

The main issue was the arguments. They seemed pretty regular and had grown in intensity.  Heated exchanges that includes shouting and abusive language.  And there was the incident at Milton Keynes that raised the alarm for us all.  Freddie and Bill had a massive fight before the concert.  It had turned physical and at some point Bill had got hold of Freddie's hand and bit down on it.  Hard enough to draw real blood.  Phoebe had been quite upset and tried to get Freddie to go have it examined.  The medic at the show looked at it and got it cleaned up.  Seeing the state of his hand was disturbing and he performed with no problems but it left us all feeling dubious about the relationship.

"If he's not here in a few minutes...I'm going in..."  I announced.  They both seemed to concur with my idea and we waited.  I got tired of it quickly and shifted over to get out of the car.  I walked into the lobby of his New York apartment building and saw Paul waiting at the concierge desk with Phoebe.  Both of them looking anxious.    "Where's Freddie?"  I asked them.  Phoebe looked troubled and I felt bad for him having to be in the middle of Freddie's romantic problems.  

"He's coming..."  he tried to assure me.  He gestured to the lifts.  "He was having a word with Bill before he left..."  he explained.  I took this as code for them having yet another row and began marching to the elevators to go up and get our lead singer.  I was reaching for the button when one of the lifts opened and Freddie came bounding out.  He looked frazzled and I shouted at him as he rushed to the exit.  

"Hey!"  I shouted and Freddie stopped and turned back towards me.  His expression had shifted to one of remorse.  

"I know I am late...sorry..."  he told me.  I put my arm around him and began walking us towards the exit.  I felt I needed to say something.

"I think we need to talk about your love life..."  I told him gently as we reached Phoebe and he began walking with us.  I saw Paul lingering at the door.  Looking anxious.   "I'll find you later for a chat..."  I said and he nodded as we were hustled out to the limo and took off for our public engagement.

-----------------------------

The name of the place was apt.  Crazy Eddies was just that.  We arrived to find a large line of people waiting for our arrival.  Our security got out of their car and positioned themselves on either side of the front entrance before we stepped out of the limo to chants and cheering from the eager fans.  The store manager shepherded us to a long table in a corner that was adorned with promotional posters and banners for Hot Space.  Our representative from Elektra records was there and gave everyone a copy of our press kit.  There was a contingent of reporters and photographers and we were seated and questions about the new album and our tour commenced.  It was more of the same we had experienced since the start of the tour and I worked hard to not be completely put out by the queries about lagging record sales and the mixed fan and critical reception of the album.  Nobody wanted to find anything positive to say or ask about it.