This Is Where We Are Today...People Going Separate Ways - Part 1

26th September 1982

New York to London

Brian's POV

Everyone was tired.  Everyone was ready for a break.  We were headed home but still had the Japan leg of the tour to finish.  The plane was unusually quiet for a bunch of people excited to go home.  Yesterday had been so tense with Freddie's romantic problems.  At least he dumped Bill.  That man was nothing but trouble.  Good riddance!  I glanced over and saw Freddie picking at his food.  I knew he was sad about the breakup.  I did feel bad for him.  I hoped spending some time back home would do him some good.  I know a lot of his bad memories were in the U.S. at the moment.  

"Would you like some more to drink?"  the stewardess asked.  I smiled and nodded.

"Yes...thanks!"  I replied.  She took my empty wine glass and headed to her station as I decided I was done eating and wiped my mouth one last time and covered my plate with my napkin.  Roger had already finished his meal and was getting his Walkman from his bag.  He placed the headphones around his neck and fished out a cassette and stuck it in his player.  "What are you listening to?"  I asked him as he went to put the headphones on.

"Springsteen...'The River'...he's got a new one coming out in a few weeks..."  Roger replied.  I smiled as he got his headphones situated.  "I'm gonna listen and have a nap...."  Roger announced.  I nodded understanding and he pressed play and smiled at me as he closed his eyes.

I received a new glass of wine and thanked the stewardess as she took my food tray.  Roger tilted his chair back on the plane and pulled his blanket up over his chest.  I wanted to give him some peace and quiet so I got up from my seat and grabbed my bag and drink.  There was an empty seat near the table Freddie was at and he had finished eating.  Deacy had moved over to sit there along with Ratty and Paul.  Freddie seemed a bit more cheerful as the Scrabble board game was opened and set up on the table.  They had their four players so I thought I was observe and maybe do some reading in between.

"Want to join us?"  Freddie asked me.  I looked up and saw Deacy shooting him a dirty look.  I grinned at the evident display of our bass player not wanting me in the competition.  I do win a lot and I know it irked Deacy at times.  I smiled with amusement. 

"You go ahead...I'll spare you my wrath this one time..."  I said with aplomb.  Freddie got my meaning and grinned back as he began counting out his tiles.  I opened my bag and found an array of different things to read.  I had accumulated quite a bit of magazines and one or two newspapers and needed to clear some of the clutter out of my travel case.  I went through it and tossed some items that seemed of little interest.  I happened upon a copy of the New York Times I never got to and decided to read through it and then throw it away.  After going over the headlines I opened up the first section and scanned the articles.  There was nothing grabbing me and I flipped the page and considered just skipping to the Arts section when a certain word caught my attention.  A word I didn't often see in print.

  A word I didn't often see in print