Thank God It's Christmas! - Part 3

22nd November 1984

Surrey

Tiger Lily's POV

"Stand still...will you?"  Mia ordered as I stood on top of the chair in the kitchen and she pinned up the hem of my choir robe.  We had been issued new ones for the school holiday program but mine had been too long and she was hemming it for me.  The radio was on and I couldn't help but move to the music.   It was a song by that new guy, Julian Lennon. He is the son of John Lennon.  That musician who was in The Beatles.  'Too Late for Goodbyes' is one of my favorites right now.  I forced myself to be still for her.

"I've got Julian's album on my Christmas list..."  I reminded Mia.  She nodded and smiled at me.  

"That and about 50 other things..."  she said in a sarcastic tone.  The telephone rang and Mia got up to answer it.  I resumed dancing on the chair as she spoke to the caller.   "It's for you..."  she told me.  "You need to be quick as I need to finish..."  Mia pointed out as she walked the phone to me; stretching the cord.   I knew it was either Lulu or Jimi or Daddy.  

"Hello..."

"Tiggy...it's me!"  It's Lulu. 

"I've just got a minute..."  I said quickly to get her focused on what she is calling about.

"My Mum came up with a brill idea about getting your family together at Christmas!"  I felt my heart rate jump at the words.

"She did?"  I questioned.  I knew there wasn't time to go into details right now.  Mia was watching me and holding her pin cushion in her hand.   "Let me call you when we've finished hemming my robe..."  I requested.  

"Okay..."  Lulu said and hung up.  I held the phone out and Mia walked it back to the wall.  I wore a massive smile as she resumed the pinning.  I giggled with excitement.

"What's got you so giddy?"  Mia questioned.  I shrugged a little. Trying to downplay it.

"Nothing...just some Christmas chatter with Lu...."  I responded.  She turned her eyes back to my hem and I did my best to stand still.  Not just from the music but from dying to hear the plan.

As soon as she finished and I took the robe off I rush to my Daddy's office.  It was sad it was  empty but I found it was an opportune place to call my friend in private.  I closed the door and walked to his barren desk.  Running my hand over the top and remembering all the clutter that had been there before he had been forced to leave.  I shook off the sadness and sat in his big chair and picked up the phone.  I kicked my legs back and forth in the high chair as I dialed Lulu's number.

"Everett household..."  Lulu answered politely.

"It's me!"  I told her with my heart racing in my chest.

"Okay!  Let me get my Mum!"  she said and I heard some noise on her end.  I opened the desk drawer and found a pen and notepad and pulled it out.  Feeling like I should write down the plan to help me remember it.  

"Hi Tiger Lily...it's Melanie!"  her mother said as she came on the phone.  "I've got Lulu here with me on my speaker phone...can you hear us?"  she asked.  

"Yes....go ahead..."  I said with anticipation.  I picked up the pen.  Ready to write.

"I talked to my favorite writer at the show and he helped me devise a cunning little plan..."  she began to explain to me.  I sat and listened and wrote down the key points.  It sounded brilliant to me and I wore a massive smile as I took notes and felt like I might really have a way to get my family together; even if it is just for the holidays.