We're Just Waiting For The Hammer To Fall - Part 4

* warning about homophobic language and mild violence

3rd November 1984

Surrey

Voyeur POV

"I still don't understand how you came from me and you're with him..."  Michael questioned as Roger drove his father to the security gate entrance.   "You had loads of girlfriends when you lived at home..." Michael pointed out.  "Was it London that did this to you or did that poof do something to make you want him?"  He asked his son with a sense of judgement in his tone.   Roger kept his eyes on the dark road ahead of them.  He didn't feel his father deserved any response in light of the demands he had made tonight.  He would never understand the love he had for Brian.  So he decided to not offer him one.  

Michael stared at his child and annoyance grew at the silence.  "Answer me!"  He suddenly shouted.  Roger almost jumped from the loud and abrasive command.  He glanced over at his father for a moment.  Still in disbelief this was happening to him.

"There is nothing I can say that will satisfy you so I don't know why we need to have this conversation..." Roger replied with a sternness of his own.  His own anger was roused by this incident tonight and the tension in the car was palpable.  Michael reached over and took hold of Roger's shirt collar and yanked on it.  It made Roger swerve a bit on the road but he tried to keep calm as his father got physical with him.  He brought the car to a halt as Michael forced him to look right at him.

"You'll answer me or I will knock it right out of you!"  Michael threatened.  Roger noted the darkness in his eyes and knew his father meant what he said.  He was still gripping Roger's shirt collar.  

"I can't give you an answer..."  Roger said in defeat.  "I don't know exactly...I wasn't aware I was attracted to any man until I got with Brian..."  he tried to explain.  His father wasn't satisfied.

"So he seduced you and has kept you under his spell all this time?"  Michael questioned with horror.  Roger sighed and shook his head and felt his father's grip tighten at his reaction.

"No...it was nothing like that at all...we fell in love...it's as simple as that..."  Roger tried to explain.  His father let go of his collar and grunted as he wiped his hand over his face.  

"It had to be your Mother then..."  Michael argued.  "She was always babying you and let you grow your hair out and wear those pansy outfits..."  he complained.  "Even though I told her not to...she still let you get your way with everything..."  Michael said with bitterness.   "She should have known it would turn you..."  he declared as he glared at Roger.   The accusations against his Mother were too much to bear.

"I think she paid good and hard for disagreeing with you all those years..."  Roger spat back.  "She has the scars to prove it!"  he reminded his Father.  Michael lashed out in anger and reached up to strike his son.  Roger had anticipated it and blocked his hand with his arm.  He quickly took hold of his father's wrist in a firm grip and stared into his eyes.  "Not as strong as you once were..."  Roger told him with confidence.  He knew his father had to have lost some of his vigor over the years.  He had been right.  Michael glared right back at him.

"I don't need a fist to get you back in line..."  Michael countered.  "I've got public opinion and your livelihood in my pocket!"  he reminded him.  "Let go of my wrist or I promise the first thing I will do is call Child Services!"  he stated with clear intent.  Roger loosened his grip as his Father yanked his hand away.  "Drive!"  his Father demanded. 

Roger's despair grew as he reached the entrance.  He stopped the car and used the inside keypad to open the gate.  "Remember!  That man is out by noon tomorrow!  Him and his child!"  "I don't care that Clare is that boys mother...she had no business making a baby for you and that queer!  She's no better in my eyes than either of you!"  Michael barked as he got out of the car.