I Can't Face This Life Alone - Part 3

14th January 1985

Rio

Deacy's POV

"Phoebe...can we ask for some of those yellow orchids for my suite?"  Freddie requested as we strolled through the orchid section of the Botanical Gardens.  We had found a particular specimen of orchid called 'Yellow Phalaenopsis Orchid.'  It was a bright sunny yellow with a pinkish red center and I found I liked them as well.

"I'll check with the concierge when we get back to the hotel..."  Phoebe replied as Freddie smiled with satisfaction.   

"They are lovely..."  I commented as we continued on through the display.  

"You should have some sent to Ronnie..."  Freddie suggested.  It was a nice idea.  We strolled side by side and viewed the other parts of the garden.  Phoebe was next to Freddie and had his camera.  It was a warm sunny day and it was nice to be outside.  We were both wearing warm up suits and trainers.  Enjoying a day off from being rock stars.  Brian was visiting the National Observatory and Roger and Crystal were invited on a day out on a sailboat.  Each of us had a security detail with us.  Ours was walking several feet behind us.  Trying to give us some measure of privacy as we played tourist.     "Isn't your wedding anniversary in a few days?"  Freddie pointed out.  I nodded.

"It is...the 18th actually..."  I replied.  It was on the date of our final show in Rio.  Ronnie knew this and was fine with it.  So used to me being gone on tour during important dates.  It had just been a part of our life since we started dating so she was used to it.  It did make me think about the idea of taking her to Japan.  Roger thought it was a good plan.

"I was thinking of taking her to Japan..."  I told Freddie.  "Kind of an anniversary trip..."  I explained.  He smiled at me.  

"That's a lovely idea...she's never been and will love it!"  he remarked.  "You must bring her along!" he encouraged.  We walked up to look at some fuchsia-colored orchids called 'Venus Slipper.'   I turned to see Phoebe taking a photo of Freddie and I together and then he walked off to look at some red flowers on the other side of the aisle.  

"I will bring her..."  I answered Freddie regarding his suggestion.  "We need to get away together...things have been a bit strained between us..."  I admitted to him.  Freddie looked at me with concern.

"Did something happen?  What's the matter?"  he questioned.  I didn't know where to begin.

"We live such different lives..."  I began.  "I am gone so much with touring and recording and living this life...and she is always at home...being a Mum and taking care of the house and all..."  I explained.  "Some of the mutual friends we used to have somehow fell out of our lives and we now have separate friends...separate interests..." I admitted.  "When I get home it's harder to adjust...you know...we've grown apart..."   

"It is hard to have a normal life...a home life..."  Freddie agreed with an expression of understanding.  "I know it's caused issues with my own love life..."  he told me.  It was true.  Some of the men he pursued weren't interested in going on tour with him and didn't want to wait around for him to come home either.  

"I guess Brian and Roger had the best arrangement..."  I remarked.  Seeing how their being a couple granted them time together whether on the road or at home.  Until the mess with Roger's father tore that apart.  

"It was an ideal arrangement..."  Freddie concurred and then formed a look of dismay at considering the same thing I was.  The fact they can't be together now.    "Until that dreadful man forced them apart..."  he remarked with disgust.  We both shared a look of sadness at seeing our band mates and friends forced to split up because of the threats made by Mr. Taylor.