The World That We Created - Part 4

A/N -  Just a reminder that this is fiction and since Brian and Roger are together in my story, it has caused some actual events to be different.  Hope you enjoy.

13th July 1985

London

Freddie's POV

I was actually nervous!  I couldn't believe it.  I don't know why.  We are rehearsed and prepared.  The setlist was ironed out and the run through done a dozen times.  This will probably be fairly effortless for us in comparison to those poor bands who don't have any real experience performing in a stadium.  Queen is actually in our element with this show.  Still.  I felt nervous.

I glanced over and watched Jim eyeing everything with awe and amazement.  He had worn one of my vests and it looked quite nice tucked into his snug jeans.  Showing off his solid form.  I kept finding myself eyeing him and thinking naughty thoughts.  He dangled a forgotten cigarette from his fingers as he watched us driving into the secured area of the stadium.  I knew Jim was impressed when the man doing security at the gate took one look at me and smiled and waved us in.  It was still flattering after all this time to be recognized and shown reverence.   The car came to a stop in front of a row of backstage doors.  A security man stepped up to open the car door for us.  Phoebe got out and headed for the boot to collect some things we brought with us.

"Here we are!"  I told Jim as I slid out first.  Immediately hearing the whirring of photographers and two video cameramen homing in on us as we departed the car.  I had told Jim plainly that there would be photographers and cameramen and reporters backstage.  We needed to keep our relationship low profile today.  He walked a few paces behind me as I looked around for one of Queen's crew members.  I spotted Ratty rushing up towards us.  He waved to me and was holding some backstage passes.

"Hey Fred!"  he said as he arrived and held out two lanyards with large plastic passes attached.  I handed one to Jim.  Ratty looked at me expectantly.    "Here's yours!"  Ratty informed me.  I waved my hand dismissively at him as we began walking into the secured area.  

"I'm Freddie Mercury...I don't need that ID for people to know it's me..."  I remarked with mild irritation.  Ratty shrugged at me as Jim placed his lanyard around this neck.

"Suit yourself..."  he grumbled as Paul approached.  I had not seen him since he left for holiday.  He had returned in the last few days having missed our rehearsal time.  I found that I didn't miss his presence there.  Ratty and Crystal and Phoebe had everything well in hand.  

"Hi Freddie!"  Paul said with a warm smile.  I noticed it falter a little when he saw Jim coming up behind me.  "Oh...hi Jim..."  Paul remarked flatly.  It annoyed me that he was so obvious about his lack of interest in my new boyfriend. 

"Hi Paul..."  Jim replied sincerely.  "How was your visit home?"  he asked in a friendly manner.  I admired Jim's handling of his rude behavior.  They were both Irishmen and he was being polite.

"It was good..."  Paul responded.  "I'm ready to be back here..."  he quickly added.  I smiled at his enthusiasm for work.  

"Do you know where our quarters are?"  I questioned. Paul nodded and gestured towards a walkway.

"We're right this way..."  he advised as Jim and I followed his lead.

------------------------------

Jim's POV 

If you had asked me a few months ago where I thought I would be right now, this is the last place I would have expected.  Things have changed so much since I got with Freddie.  I feel at times I am living two different lives.  I get up and take the train into work from my lodging in Sutton and spend my days cutting and styling men's hair at The Savoy Hotel.  Five days a week and every other Saturday.  It was a regular life.  Until I met Freddie again that night and began seeing him.