Love Lies Bleeding - Part 2

6th August 1987

London

Roger's POV

"Hang on!  Hang on!"  I called out to the group of girls in my front room.  Tiger Lily had turned 13 today and had only wanted a sleepover with a small group of school friends.  They were camped out in my lounge having a slumber party.  The television was on and they were watching some horrid film about a shop mannequin that had come to life.  I was trying to act as their servant tonight rather than a stodgy parent.  Delivering drinks and food as they all sat cross legged on the floor next to each other.

'And we can build this dream together....standing strong forever...nothing's gonna stop us now.'

All the girls sang the theme song from the film in unison as it played over the final credits.  Getting up and pretending to perform it.  Holding imagined microphones.  I found it cute and funny as I carried in a fresh supply of popcorn Mia had made for them.

"Here it is girls!  Eat up!"  I told them.  Setting the large bowl down in front of them as they kept singing.  I walked back to the kitchen and heard them talking as I went.  

"I'm in love with Andrew McCarthy.  He's so cute!"  Tig's friend Lulu remarked.   I made it back in the kitchen but was still listening.  Mia grinning as she could hear them as well.

"I think your Dad is cute!"  I overheard Valerie tell my daughter and I smirked.

"She's not wrong."  I told Mia smugly who proceeded to elbow me in protest.

"She's young enough to be your daughter."  Mia reminded me.  

"I was just agreeing with her opinion.  Not wanting a date."  I protested.  Dom came into the kitchen from the back hallway.  

"Who's not wanting a date?"  Dom inquired.  

"One of Tig's friends said she thought Roger was cute."  Mia divulged.  Dom gave me a condescending look.

"That's because she barely knows you!"  Dom countered.

"Hey!"  I replied.  Acting offended. Dom and Mia chuckled as they both got a glass of wine.

"Pour me one of those."  I requested.  Dom grabbed another glass and we were all soon sipping and standing near the kitchen door.  Listening and laughing quietly at 5 teenage girls.  The telephone rang and I checked my watch.  Seeing it was almost 10pm.  I answered it knowing instinctively who it was.

"Hello."

"Hey Rog.  It's me."  Brian said in a quiet voice.  "I'm calling for Tiger Lily's birthday."  he stated.

"It's almost 10 Brian.  She's in the middle of her slumber party."  I told him.  "You should have called this afternoon."  I said as my daughter came into the kitchen.

"It is him?"  she asked me.  I nodded as she came over and took the phone from my hands.  Apparently she wasn't upset about him calling in the middle of her party.  She looked at us all as she began speaking to him.  She then stopped.   "I'm going to take it in your office."  Tigs informed me.  "Can you hang it up once I pick up the phone?"  she asked me.

"What about your party?"  I questioned.  Feeling it was rude to drop them to talk to Brian right now.

"They're eating popcorn and setting up a game."  Tigs told me.  "I won't be long."  she advised as she held out the phone to me.  I sighed and took it from her as she dashed into the hallway.  

"She'll be on in a minute." I told Brian as we waited.  There was silence and it irritated me.  "How are you?"  I asked and hoped he would speak to me.  Something he had not done much of lately.