Love Lies Bleeding - Part 3

6th September 1987

Ibiza 

Roger's POV

I immediately knocked on the bathroom door and called out.  Anita was right behind me.  Loitering and listening.

"Brian!  It's me Rog.  You need to open the door."  I called to him.  I did my best to only sound concerned and not angry.  The anger was there but it could wait.  Right now I needed to know he was safe.  

"Please Brian!"  Anita begged.  "We need to talk."  she stated.   I was annoyed at her chiming in.

"Yes, we do need to talk."  I added as I leaned in close and tried to listen for any sounds beyond the door.  Needing to know he was alive and well and just choosing to avoiding us.

"I don't want to talk to either of you."  Brian finally responded.  "Just go away!"  he shouted.  

"I'm not going away until you open this door and I know you're alright."  I informed him.  

"Do you think he might do something?"  Anita whispered in a worried tone to me.  Standing right up against me and trying to listen.  I wanted to tell her to fuck off but steeled myself.  I motioned for her to step away from the door with me.   We took a few steps and then she looked at me with concern in her eyes.  "You don't think he might do something?"  Anita questioned.

"Brian wears his heart on his sleeve." I told her.  "He's obviously upset because you didn't say yes."  I explained.  Ignoring the fact that I wanted to inform her he was already married to me and couldn't marry her anyway. 

"I didn't realize he would react this way."  Anita dithered.  Her eyes growing with a mix of guilt and alarm.    "If I had known."  she said as she looked past me at the bathroom door.  Suddenly anguished over how she had handled Brian's proposal.

"Maybe you should let me see if I can get him to open the door."  I suggested.  "You being here might be why he won't come out."  I surmised.  Anita appeared conflicted.

"But he is upset with me and I should do something to try and get him to come out.  Apologize or offer to talk things through with him."  Anita proposed.  I really needed  her to leave.  Knowing full well Brian's issues right now included a lot more than her refusal of matrimony.  There were things she didn't need to hear that I planned on saying to my husband.

"Your intent is admirable."  I managed to tell her. Forcing myself not to just say 'go sod off.'    "I know him and experience tells me he isn't going to open that door for you."  I assured her.  Anita appeared vexed and my patience began to wear thin.  

"I guess you should try."  she replied.  "I'll just go sit in there."  she advised as she gestured at the living area of the suite.  I didn't want her hearing what I was going to say to Brian.  It wasn't her business.

"Why don't you go get a drink at the bar?"  I proposed.  Waiting and hoping she would comply.

"I really think I should be here."  she countered.  I sighed inside and felt like I was close to saying something I might regret.

"And I really think you should go."  I replied.  My tone starting to reflect my insides.  Her face showed annoyance and she looked over at the bathroom door.   "To be honest Anita, this situation is more than about you."  I finally conveyed.  She seemed perturbed and then sighed heavily.

"If it will get him out of the bathroom, then I will go."  she finally said as she went and looked at herself in the mirror.  Checking her hair and lipstick.

"It will."  I stated as she turned and walked out of the room.   I waited until I heard her leave the suite and the door closed behind her.  I instantly returned to the bathroom door and tapped on it.