I Can't Face This Life Alone - Part 2

5th January 1985

London

Roger's POV

"Are you packed?"  Dom asked me as I drove from the restaurant where we had dinner to her flat.  Tiger Lily was in the back seat.  We had gone to a trendy Italian place to eat in Mayfair since I leave tomorrow night for Rio.   

"Yes..."  I replied as turned down her street.  "I was ready a few days back..."  I confirmed.  She smiled as I pulled into a spot in front of her home.  We got out of the car and Tigs and I followed her inside.  She wanted to show me a new painting she bought and I was keen to see it.  I had gained a new appreciation for fine art and it was something Freddie was excited to hear. So was Dom as she had collected a few things over the years with her earnings.  

"What do you think?"  Dom asked me as she switched on the lights in her sitting room and showed me the painting.  She had explained it was an early piece done by an abstract artist named Willem De Kooning.    It was done in black and white and was some kind of lithograph.  I liked the imagery and found it relaxing and interesting to look at.

"It's nice.."  I responded with an engaged smile.  "You said it was one of his early pieces?"  I questioned.  She nodded and proceeded to give me some history on the painter and why she liked his work.  I like how multi faceted Dom is.  She has many interests and can speak to each of them with insight and intelligence.  It reminded me a bit of Brian to be honest.

"Where's the toilet?"  Tigs asked Dom as we spoke.  She stopped and guided my daughter to the bathroom and returned to my side as we both gazed at the artwork.  

"You have good taste..."  I remarked to her as she left my side and walked to her small liquor cabinet.  

"Thanks...fancy a nightcap?"  she asked me.  I shook my head since I'm driving home and Tigs is with me.

"Thanks...but I'll skip it..."  I replied.  She poured herself something as I walked over and had a seat and pulled out my cigarettes.  

"I wanted to talk to you before you go to Rio..."  Dom indicated as she took the seat next to mine and sipped her drink as I lit my cigarette.

"What about?"  I asked her.  She set her glass down and crossed her legs and looked at me intently.

"I wanted to talk to you about helping me have a child..."  she stated clearly and calmly.  "I know that Brian had to have told you about our talk..."  she added.  "And with everything that has happened with your situation..."  she began to explain.  I cut her off to spare her having to say a lot to justify her request.

"Dom...I'll do it!"  I interrupted.  She stopped talking and smiled at me.  

"I'll be 33 in April and I'd really like be pregnant before then..."  she told me bluntly.  "I just wanted to ask now so you could think on it while you are in Rio...and we could plan for something before you head off to Asia..."  she remarked.  I understood her reasoning.  She is quite practical about such matters.  It does make things easy since she doesn't wrap a lot of emotions into everything.

"Alright..."  I answered.   "I guess that gives us February and March to get it sorted..."  I confirmed.  She lit a cigarette and smiled at me.

"It means a lot that you would do this for me..."  she told me sincerely.  "Thank you Roger..."  she said as Tiger Lily came back into the room.  We both smiled at her and ceased our conversation.

"You about ready to head out?"  I asked my daughter.  She nodded and walked over to lean against my chair as she watched us both smoke.

"If you're going to have a baby you should both stop smoking..."  Tigs suddenly remarked to us.  Dominique almost choked on her cigarette.    "We had someone from the NHS make a speech at school about how bad smoking is for your health..."  she explained.  "You ought to quit now...before you get pregnant..."  she suggested.  Both Dom and I felt compelled to put out our cigarettes as Tigs watched us.  It was apparent she had overheard enough of our conversation about having a baby before stepping into the room.  I shouldn't be surprised.  She is an astute character.  Dom raised her eyebrows at me as I got up from my chair and ran my hand through my hair.