Don't Lose Your Head - Part 1

A/N -  the point of view in this chapter is going to change a lot.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

20th October 1985

London

Brian's POV

"I've arranged for someone to come by and see to the garden and anything else that needs to be done around here..."  I informed my parents.  I would usually expect an argument about me helping out in any manner but I got no pushback.  Things were different now and my father couldn't do the things he once did.  

"That is nice of you to do that...thank you..."  my mother responded.  My father simply nodded and looked out the window of the kitchen.  Not wanting to acknowledge his own limitations verbally.  I understood this was hard for him.

"If you need anything else...please let me know..."  I stated as I finished my tea and stood up from the kitchen table.

"We will..."  my mother assured me.  She stood up as well and we both walked to the sink.  I handed her my cup and saucer and she began washing them as I glanced over and saw how tired my father looked.  

"I'm going to go so he can get some rest..."  I announced.  My father looked over at me.

"Thank you for coming by..."  he said as I smiled at him.  "I know you've got the album and the new baby..."  he remarked.  I nodded.

"I do...but you're important too..."  I reminded him.  I wanted to go over and hug him but it seemed like after my emotional reunion with him last week, he has been standoffish.  I think he was trying to keep his own emotions in check and soldier through.  I had to respect that is what he wanted.   "I'll see you soon...."  I told him.  

"Alright son..."  he replied.  We shared a warm smile to convey our feelings.

"I'll walk you out..."  my mother advised as she wiped her hands.  I waited and she took my arm as we left the kitchen and headed for the front door.

"He looks so tired..."  I whispered to her.  She nodded as we walked.

"He does..."  she agreed.  "He won't lay down if we've got company...but he'll have a rest now that you're going..."  she assured me.  

"I mean it when I said if you need anything...just let me know..."  I insisted.  

"I will...don't worry..."  she advised.  "Give him a few weeks and he will be better..."  she counseled.  

"Okay..." I replied.  I hated seeing him this way but was grateful he was still with us.  I reached the door and pulled my coat from the front closet.  Sliding it on as my mother watched me.

"When he's better...bring the baby around..."  she requested.  I smiled at her.

"Of course..."  I told her.  I leaned in and kissed her cheek and then we shared a quick hug.  "Love you Mum..." 

"I love you too dear..."  she advised as she opened the door for me.  "Give Jimi a hug for me and I look forward to meeting Louisa..."  she added.  

"I will...see you soon..."  I said as I left the house.  I walked to the car and noted the neighbor waving to me as she collected her post.  I smiled and waved back.  Wanting to be friendly.  I slid into my car and let out a deep sigh.  I drove home feeling better about seeing my father regularly now, but still in shock and disbelief that he had lung cancer and his time on this earth was limited.  As I pulled into the drive next to Chrissie's car, I steeled myself to go in and face her and her family.  I opened the door and stepped inside.  Smelling the tell tale signs of lunch cooking and the television on in the front room.