Hot Space..Let's Go! - Part 3

31st December 1981

Tenerife

Roger's POV

"You're pregnant?" I asked in disbelief.  Clare nodded and looked at me with something akin to fear in her eyes.  I had to grab the counter to lean against it as I tried to absorb the news.  She had told me she broke up with the guy she was dating before the holidays.  Did she know she was pregnant when they broke up?  Did he break up with her because she's pregnant?  What is she going to do?

"And before you ask, the father and I broke up a few weeks before Christmas..."  she confirmed.  "And I did tell him I was pregnant..." I was immediately mad that he knew she was pregnant and broke up with her.  I was assuming of course, he is the one who left. 

"So he knew you were pregnant and broke up with you?"  I questioned.  I could already tell by her face that this was the case.  That piece of shit!

"I told him I was pregnant and the first thing he did was question if he was the father and tried to accuse me of cheating and trying to entrap him..."  Clare explained.  "When I first met him he seemed like a such a nice guy...but he turned out to be a giant prick...like a lot of the men I've met..."  she told me with disdain in her voice.  I immediately pulled her in for a hug and felt terrible about how she had been treated.

"Bear...I am so sorry..."  I told her and pressed her head against my shoulder and kissed her.  Feeling like I hadn't done my job as her older brother.  The more I thought about this guy the angrier I got.  An idea formed in my head.  "Tell me who he is and I can get some of the road crew to rough him up..."  I told her.  Clare pulled back and looked at me with horror.

"Yes Rog...because violence fixes everything..."  she scolded.  "You sound like our father..."  she remarked and I immediately looked at her with surprise.  I hated any comparison to that man.

"Don't even say that..."  I responded sharply and she looked quite stern.

"Then don't act like him..."  she retorted.  We both stood silent for a moment and tried to calm down.  I let go of my idea to have the guy beat up and she took a deep breath.  

"So he broke up with you?"  I asked and she sighed again and nodded to me.

"He called me a few days later and said he would consider reconciling if I had an abortion..."  she stated with a real sense of disgust.  I wanted to murder the guy but held back saying it.  I clenched my fists and tried to keep calm for her sake.

"Do you want the baby?"  I questioned.  I wasn't sure where she stood on this and needed to know.   She looked uncertain.

"I'm not sure..."  she answered.  "But either way...I know I don't want to get back with him..."  she clarified.  I was glad to hear it.  I didn't want her feeling obligated to go back to him just because she's pregnant.  

"Do you know how far along you are?"  I asked her.  She shook her head.  

"No...I only know I'm pregnant...I took one of those home tests and I know I am because I feel just like I did when I was pregnant with Jimi..." Clare explained to me.   "I got an appointment scheduled with my doctor for when we get back home..."  

"Alright..."  I responded.   "Does Mum know?"  I asked and she immediately shook her head.

"I don't see the need to tell her unless I keep it..."  she answered.  That made sense.  I suddenly wondered what she was going to do.  If she kept the baby it might prove problematic for her job.  She would be a single mother.  

"So...if you decide to keep it...what are you going to do?"  I questioned.  "You know...with your job?  With raising it on your own?"  I asked.  Clare took a sip of her water and sighed again.