Today The Headlines...Tomorrow Hard Times...Part 1

October 1989

London

Roger's POV

For the first time in a while I wished I had a  cigarette.  My hands went directly to fidget with the buttons on my jacket.  I was nervous alright.  More nervous than I had ever been in my entire life. Okay.  I am frightened.  Scared to death actually!  But I am using it as my energy to get through this.  I tried to avoid looking at anyone and just focused on what has to be done.  My stomach in knots and my head swimming with everything that is going to come from this.  Just fucking ignore it!  Get on with it!

I swallowed down my anxiety and heard someone come in the room.  It was the makeup crew.  A young woman approached me carrying her makeup case. 

"Morning Mr. Taylor..."  she remarked in a friendly voice as she set the case down on the counter and looked right at me.  I glanced in the makeup mirror at Brian.  Another woman was standing next to him.   Greeting him as well.  Both of these women were talking to us like it is any ordinary day.  Well maybe it is for them.  Not for us.  Brian caught me looking at him and we shared a determined look.  Seeing him helped.  I looked up at the makeup tech.

"Good morning..." I said in an even voice and tried to give her my usual casual grin.  

"Let's see what shade I need for you today...your hair is pretty light..."  she commented as she began rifling through the bottom of her case.  I shifted in my chair and gripped the armrests.  Trying to stay still for her despite feeling like I should maybe collapse or just make a run for it.  But neither could happen.  I steeled myself by clenching at the seat as she held up a wipe to clean my face.   I let her run it over my skin and then she grabbed a small container of foundation as my cheeks and forehead dried.  My face felt a little tight.  Like my stomach right now.  The girl placed a paper guard over my shirt and jacket collars and tucked it in.

"Alright then..."  she remarked as she turned towards me with a sponge in one hand and her foundation in the other.  "Chin up please..."  she commanded.  I lifted my chin up so she could lightly dot my face with the substance.  She gently dabbed at me as she worked.  Blending the liquid into my skin.  She was soon finished and looked me over and then picked up a brush. She dunked it in a container of loose powder and ran it lightly over my face.  The feeling of it almost tickled my nose.  After completing the dusting she stood back and eyed me again.  I tried to look calm and relaxed despite a volcano building inside my gut.  She frowned a bit.

"You feel okay?"  she asked me and I suddenly felt like she could see through my thinly veiled facade this morning.  I found the best smile I could manage for her.

"I'm good..."  I replied but felt like I might start sweating if she decides to ask me any more questions.  She shrugged and then placed her brush on top of her case.  

"You're all set...have a good interview..."  she said in a friendly tone.  

"Thanks..."  I replied and watched her put away her things and then walk out of the room.  I turned to see the other makeup girl had left as well.  So I sat facing my husband and we both eyed each other nervously.  I stood up from my chair and walked over to him as he took a quick drink from a cup of water.  Crushing the paper cup in his fist as he finished it.  I went to say something to him but the door to the room burst open and a young man leaned in halfway and looked at us.

"Makeup?"  he questioned as he looked us over.  He grinned.  "Excellent!"  he remarked as he saw we had been attended to.  "Gentleman...you've got about 8 minutes and then I will come to collect you...alright?"  he announced.  We both nodded silently at him and he gave us a lazy smile.  "Need anything while you wait?"  I shook my head and so did Brian.  The man's smile widened.  "Okay...see you in 8..."  he replied and disappeared as he closed the door.