Thank God It's Christmas - Part 4

17th December 1984

London

Brian's POV

"I don't know if you heard...but we won't be at Rock In Rio..."  Joe Elliott told me as we caught up with each other at a London party thrown by EMI records.  I was disappointed to hear this.  I had hoped to spend some time with him in Rio since I couldn't be with Roger.  Def Leppard was so big right now that it was a surprise they weren't going.

"What happened?"  I asked him.  Joe ran his hand through his messy blond hair.  It kind of reminded me of Roger.  

"We're trying to get work done on our new album and to be honest...we really could use a break..."  he responded.  "You know how it is...when you're on the road constantly...it wears on you a bit..."  he explained.  I did understand and nodded.

"I hear you...after 10 years on the road...I completely understand needing a break.."  I advised.  "I will miss seeing you in Rio...."  I confessed to him.  Joe wrapped his arm around me and smiled warmly.

"I know..."  Joe replied.  "We could have really turned that place upside down!"  Joe suggested as he raised his glass to me.  I smiled back.  Knowing we would have done some serious partying at the music festival.  I finished the drink in my hand as Joe laughed.  

"I guess we can make up for it tonight!"  I proposed.  Joe had a gleam in his eye hearing this and pulled me with him towards the bar.

"Let's get right to it then!"  Joe announced as we reached the bar and demanded fresh drinks.

----------------------

"We're here!"  Joe informed me as the car we were riding in came to a stop.  I pulled myself from the slumped position I was in next to him in the back seat and saw my house in front of us.

"I guess this is me..."  I mumbled to him.  Joe patted my back as I slid from the seat towards the door.  The driver had got out and was opening the door for me.  I turned and saluted my brother in rock and my brother in drink tonight.    "Have a Happy Christmas..."  I told Joe and stumbled from the car as I headed to my front door. 

"You too mate!  Say hello to the guys for me!"  Joe called out as I reached my door.  I tried to fish my keys from my pocket and then heard the front door being opened.  Chrissie appeared in the doorway and peered up at me.

"Welcome home..."  she told me quietly as she made room for me to step inside.  Joe's car took off as I made my way into the house and Chrissie closed the door behind me.  

"Sorry..."  I mumbled as I slid off my clogs in the front hallway.  I felt Chrissie eyeing me as she watched me fumble with my coat and hang it on the coat tree.

"You're drunk..." she stated.  I nodded to her and placed my finger over my lips to request she be quiet.  I didn't want to wake Jimi.  She only grinned at me.  Apparently amused at my drunken demeanor.  "C'mon then...let's get you to bed..."  she directed.  She took hold of my hand and began to guide me up the stairs.  It was awkward because of our size difference.  I hit my foot a few times on the step in front of me and almost laughed at how silly I felt trying to climb the stairs with someone so short guiding me.

"You're short..."  I told her and she turned and gave me a surprised look.  

"Maybe you're just too tall..."  she quipped back in a whisper.  I snickered at her comment as we reached the landing and walked the few steps to my room.   "I'm going to sleep downstairs  tonight and make sure you're okay..."  Chrissie told me as I pulled off my jacket and she folded the bedclothes back on the mattress.  I plopped down and tried to unzip my jeans.  She didn't need to stay.  I was drunk but not impaired.  Well, not too much.