Chapter twenty six - Begin again

Chase

I stood on the rocks looking out at the water as I threw another stone watching it's sink below the surface. It was the first time I'd come here since that day with Alex and I was feeling all sorts of mixed emotions.
A rustle in the trees behind me momentarily distracted me and I glanced back to see Chloe appear on the path behind me.
"I thought I'd find you here" she exclaimed in her usual know it all tone.
I turned my attention back to the water and threw another stone, watching it sink into the depths of the water once again.
"Go away Chloe, I'm not in the mood for one of your little pep talks" I spat as I reached down for another handful of stones.
"I think it's exactly what you do need. Chase you can't just leave things like this. She loves you and this whole being apart to protect her plan doesn't really seem to be playing out how you'd hope does it" she walked up beside me grabbing a stone from my hand and throwing it out onto the open water. I watched as it effortlessly skimmed across the surface before disappearing. I turned to face her.
"She slept with him Chloe. She slept with him" saying the words out loud again tore me up inside. I felt physically sick that things had come to this. Chloe shot me a sympathetic look.
"You must have known that would be a possibility, they had been together for a long time before you came into the picture Chase" she spoke softly but her words did nothing to offer me comfort. But that wasn't her style. Chloe was always the honest, call it as you see it kind of girl. That's what I liked about her.
"I just didn't think she'd be able to move on this soon. I guess part of me wanted her to fight for us" I sighed as I admitted my true feelings to myself.
"That's hardly fair. From where she's standing, you didn't fight for her at all. You gave up"
Her gaze was fixed on mine and I knew what she was saying made sense. It just didn't make it easier to hear.
"But I hadn't given up, you know that" My words full of frustration.
"I know that, but she didn't Chase. She didn't know that"
I walked a few steps away from her not wanting to hear her talking what I knew was sense. I wasn't ready to listen to it, to admit I was to blame for this whole mess.
"Come on Chase, you saw the state she was in. The thought of what she's done is killing her, it certainly looked like she was half dead when we found her slumped on the ground like that"
The memory of her shot through my mind. Seeing her crumpled on the ground, completely out of it. She was cold, ice cold. It had taken all the strength I had to keep it together on the drive to her place. I'd heard bits and pieces of her thoughts and knew she was beating herself up for what she'd done. She loved me, I knew she did but so much had happened it would be impossible for us to go back to how things were.
"Chase, seriously you need to pull your shit together. So she slept with Josh. You guys are broken up, she can sleep with whoever she wants"

"This isn't helping Chloe, just leave me the hell alone"

"You need to forgive her Chase. You love her and she loves you and that should be all that matters"

I thought about what she said for a moment before turning away and heading towards the path. "It's too late"

Natalie

"Are you sure you're up for this, your mum did say you can take the rest of the week off?" I offered sympathetically as I glanced over at Alex in the passenger seat.

"I'm fine Nat, I've already missed enough school. I don't want to risk falling behind" she exclaimed looking out the window. I knew she was probably scanning the grounds for Chase's car, or maybe Josh's.

"Well, I'll be your getaway driver if you need me" I smirked back at her watching a small smile form on her lips.

"Thanks Nat, you've been amazing" she looked at me earnestly. I was so glad we had got our friendship back on track. After everything Mike had done, what he'd made me do. I felt sick. I was so grateful for her forgiveness and I'd try everyday to be the best friend I could be and that included giving her a gentle push towards the happiness I knew she wanted.