Chapter fifty five - Regret

Chase

I headed into the kitchen to grab a glass of water, I'd managed to convince Alex's mum to go to work and save the third degree she had planned for Alex until later. She was in no state to hear it right now. She'd spent the night in some sort of daze and had only managed to drop off to sleep an hour or two ago. I downed a glass of water before refilling it to take upstairs for Alex in case she woke up. The light tap on the door drew my attention away from what I was doing as I headed over to answer it.

"Hey, thanks for calling me" Nate mumbled as he entered the house "how's she doing?" He asked with concern.

"Not good. I think she's in shock. I can't get through to her, she's closed herself off from me. I thought maybe you might have better luck. It's worth a try at least" I shrugged.

"Sure, where is she, upstairs?" He asked glancing up in direction of her room

" yeah, she's sleeping right now but I thought maybe we could both be there when she wakes up. You know, out on a United front and all" 

"Sounds good to me"

We headed up to her room, she was still sound asleep. I took my seat on the bed whilst Nate sat at her dressing table looking over at her with concern. We sat in silence for almost an hour before I got up to make us some coffee.

"I'm gonna make some coffee, you want one?"

"Yeah thanks" 

I headed towards her bedroom door as Nate took my place on the bed she began to stir.

"Lex baby are you awake" he whispered to her. I stopped and watched from the doorway as her eyes fluttered open wide taking in her surroundings, her gaze caught mine as she stared at me confused. Then returning to Nate who sat on the bed, her eyes narrowed on him as if trying to focus and then all of a sudden she jumped backwards in fear

"Get away from me, don't touch me" she screamed at him as Nate jumped off the bed in shock.

"Alex it's me Nate, I'm not going to hurt you" he pleaded 

"Stay back" she screamed again as she scrambled herself further away from him

"Lex baby calm down" I pleaded as I approached her slowly. Her eyes locked onto mine and she held out her hand for me to come closer. I walked closer to her and she grasped at my t shirt and pulled me into her.

"Chase don't let him touch me again. I don't want him to touch me" she cried into my chest. I looked over at Nate who was white as a sheet. He had backed away and was almost at her door.

"Nate, go downstairs and wait for me, I'll be down in a minute" I ordered trying to calm down the situation. I soothed her as best I could before she finally calmed down enough for me to head downstairs. I found Nate sat on the sofa, his head in his hands. He looked up as he heard my approach and I could see he had tears in his eyes.

"I didn't....I swear I never" he was choking up

"I know" I cut him off "you think if I thought for a second you had done something against her will that you'd be breathing right now" 

" then why, why is she acting like this" 

"It hit her last night when she got home, her mum caught her sneaking in and caught her out in a lie. I was here, she told me what happened between you too and then it was like the realisation hit her and she couldn't handle it. She went into complete shock, she could process the guilt she felt"

"Fuck...I knew this would happen, I should have stopped her" 

"Hey, I think we both know that when Alex really wants something she's got a certain way about her that kind of makes it happen. Don't beat yourself up about this man"