Chapter eighteen - Rescue mission

Chase

When I finally got back to my car, I couldn't help but let out a scream of anger as I lashed out at the steering wheel. What the fuck had just happened. I started up the car and just started driving, unsure of where I was going but in desperate need to clear my head. I ended up pulling up at the creek I had taken Alex to the first day we'd connected. I got out of my car and walked the short walk to the water's edge taking a seat on the rocks and starring out at the water. It did not seem too long ago we were making love in that water, overcome by the undeniable need for each other. Now look at us, she thought I had cheated on her and then what's the first thing she does...throws herself at that pussy Josh. I threw a stone out into the water as the anger of the afternoon events hit me again.

I was snapped out of my self-pity by a crunching noise on the ground behind me, I swung around to see Natalie emerge from the trees an unreadable expression on her face.

Anger filled me as I stood up and lunged towards her forcing her to stumble backwards and almost lose her footing.

"What the fuck are you doing here" I spat at her, feeling my fists clench at my sides. I would never hurt a woman but the anger she made me feel was really pushing my buttons.

"I followed you...please I need to explain" her voice cracked slightly, and I swear I saw a hint of remorse in her eyes.

"You've got nothing to say that I want to hear" I dismissed her and returned my attention to the water.

"It's Alex, she's in danger"

Her words hit me like a knife to the heart as I spun around.

"Tell me everything" I demanded.

"It's Mike, I think he's going to do something stupid" she trembled clearly shaken

"What's Mike got to do with any of this" I asked confused

"He wants to hurt you by hurting her" a tear escaped down her cheek "I swear I didn't know he was going to take it this far"

"What do you mean, why does he want to hurt me. You're not making sense" I snapped impatiently

"Miss Jenson, I found out he was cheating on me with Miss Jenson. I went to get proof so I thought I'd film them in the act so he couldn't lie his way out of it, but it was you"

"So, it was you who sent the video. You blackmailed me to leave Alex"

Her sobs became more uncontrollable

"Mike found the video on my phone, he went ballistic. Turns out he was sleeping with her; he just didn't realise it was you who she really wanted. He made me threaten you"

"Made you, don't try and act innocent in all this"

"He has videos of me. He filmed us without me knowing and said he'd put them online if I didn't help ruin you" she broke down, shit part of me was starting to feel sorry for her. I reached out a hand and steadied it on her shoulder

"Natalie, you said Alex is in danger. Please I need to know what he wants with her"

She nodded and stifled a sniffle as she tried to compose herself

"When the blackmail didn't work that's when he came up with the idea of me seducing you. He wanted Alex to leave you so you could feel the pain he felt when Miss Jenson left him for you. But nothing worked, when I called him after the supply room incident, he said he was taking matters into his own hands. Chase, I think he's going to hurt her"

Anger and worry filled my body as my instinct's snaps into gear.

"Come on you're coming with me; we've got to find Alex"