Chapter One

RILEE POV

Walking through the airport with my suitcases rolling behind me, I scanned the sea of people. Knowing her she'd have been here hours earlier just so I didn't have to wait. My eyes flitted over the group of people, some welcoming home loved ones and others saying goodbye. As I got closer I saw the big ass sign.

Daughter of River and Kailee Matthews.

My Ma, the habit of calling her dad faded, lifted it high above her head. I internally groaned at the way she waved it around, a huge grin on her face.

"Rilee, over here!" She shouted even though she saw me look right at her.

I sped up to avoid the weird looks our way. "I see you, geez." I grabbed the sign from her.

"Welcome home, kiddo." She wrapped her arms around me and spinned me around.

I couldn't help the joyful laugh that left me. "I missed you." I smiled when she placed me down. "Where's mom?"

"We missed you too. She's at home. She's waiting for you with your brother." She took my suitcases and led me to the car. I crumpled the sign and threw it in a nearby trash can.

"Ready to fill your grandmom's shoes?" She asked, pulling onto the road.

Grandmom Char's photography business took off, but she was old now. Since I was old enough to hold a camera, I followed behind her. She kept her studio here in town but had clients and magazines all over requesting her. And since she made sure I knew everything she did, the responsibility fell on me. A responsibility I accepted with open arms. So I finished my business degree and came home to do just that.

"I can't wait." I smiled out the window.

I leaned my head on the seat, feeling the breeze flow through my curls. The familiar trees, buildings and people I mostly recognised brought a smile to my face. It was good to be home again.

"Mom told me you broke up with Betty." Ma spoke up, sounding happy about that piece of information.

"Brittany." I corrected. "And yeah." I kept my eyes out the window.

I didn't want to talk about her. No, I wanted to forget all about the girl that fucked her best friend in the same bed we shared.

"You deserve better anyway. Want me to get your mom to kick her ass?"

"No, Ma." I chuckled.

"We need to make a stop." She suddenly blurted out.

"Why?" I turned to her.

She parked in front of a flower boutique that's always been here. The building looked recently repainted. Anytime I came home, Ma always dragged both Kaiden and I with her to get mom flowers. She'd tell us the same story over and over about their first date and how she thought fake flowers were better. Then she'd complain about not understanding why mom preferred real ones.

"Flowers for your mom." She said getting out.

I rolled my eyes smiling, I loved how inlove they still were. It was something I didn't think I could ever have. That love seemed to be too unique to happen to just anyone. Quietly following behind her, I took in the wide varieties of flowers put on display. No one seemed to be around as I strolled through the spacious room, taking in the different smells the plants brought.

"Where's Miss Nina?" I asked Ma as she stood next to me.

"Uh, she's probably in the back." She walked to the small bell on the counter top and rung it.