Chapter Thirty Six

RILEE POV

Her body turned and twisted, eyes shut tightly as she clearly had a nightmare. Kaiden and Ma helped me get her into a bed after she passed out outside. I took off the wet clothing and covered her but she just kicked them off.

Quinn once told me she never had nightmares with me around, but even I couldn't help this time. It had been a while and I stayed by her side, yet it didn't seem like they were easing up. I asked mom to get everyone away from where we were and thankfully, they all listened without questions. Quinn wouldn't want anyone to hear or see her this way.

Ava and Lily, the names repeatedly left her lips. Each time I tried to wake her or hold her, she shook so much that I had to let her go. It hurt seeing her so broken and she wasn't even awake.

Three hours of Quinn suffering in her sleep went by until she woke up. I refused to even wrap my head around how she managed to stay sleeping through all that. Dinner had come and gone, I didn't join them though Ma tried to get me to eat. Little chattering could be heard but we were in the furthest room into the house.

"Hey, baby." I got up from my seat and sat at the edge of the bed.

Her sleepy eyes, bloodshot and distant, scanned her surroundings before settling on mine. Quinn slowly lifted her body off of the bed, silently threw on her now dried clothes and went to the door.

"I need to go." She spoke with a raspy voice when I stopped her.

"Where are you going? I'll come with you." A shake of her head was my answer. "Quinn,"

"I wanna be left alone."

My head spinned with thoughts about what was going on. I could probably piece it together from her reaction to Miranda but I wasn't ready to. "Talk to me."

Her back stayed facing me, shoulders tensed and hand tightly gripping the door knob. "I need to go."

"Sweetheart-"

"Rilee." She swiftly turned to me, eyes ablaze with pain.

But the sound of my full name leaving her lips, did something to me, to my heart. I hated the feeling. I knew then that I needed to back off. Let her be and go clear her head. I let go of her arm and she left without hesitation.

I followed as she walked out, purposely avoiding where my family's voices were. With tears stinging my eyes, I watched my girlfriend get into her truck and sped off. My knees felt too weak to hold up my weight, so I allowed my body to drop on the front porch steps.

It took no time until another body dropped beside me, pulling my shaking one to theirs. My face buried in her chest and the comforting smell engulfed me, soothing the ache in me. I wasn't hurting because she left. It pained because I couldn't help her, I couldn't ease whatever hurt her so badly. The story was still unknown to me, how her family died. The things she experienced growing up and had to run away from. I didn't know.

"What happened?" Ma asked, the concern and protectiveness clear as day.

"I'm not sure."

"Did she hurt you?"

My head immediately shook negatively. "She never hurts me."

A kiss pressed on the top of my head but she said nothing else. I let my Ma comfort me a little longer before getting up.

"Where are you going?" She stood up and followed me into the house.

"I need to talk to aunt Bri."

QUINN POV