Chapter Forty Eight

QUINN POV

My feet shifted nervously as I stood in front of Ry's childhood home. Mrs Matthews brought me here but I couldn't find the courage to move any further. With my body rooted to the spot and eyes glued to the ground, I tried drowning out the voice that said she wouldn't want to see me.

I did my best to focus on the Ry that was always patient and kind to me, the Ry that never failed to make me feel better. I briefly closed my eyes as I heard her voice in my mind saying she was inlove with me too. I breathed in and out, letting myself calm down.

As my eyes opened, I let out a loud and high pitched scream when a tongue licked my entire face. I stumbled back and fell on my butt while Mrs Matthews laughed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you fall but man," she got out between her laughs. "You really are scared of dogs? But he's so cute, look at his face." The woman grinned, sending kissy faces to the ball of fur.

I still sat on the ground when the front opened and the other Mrs Matthews came out. "What's with the screaming? Why-" she stopped when she saw me lying on the ground. "Quinn, why are you lying there? What did you do, River?" She directed at her laughing wife.

She pointed at me accusingly, "she was taking too long to come in."

I would have defended myself but my eyes fell on the girl who came behind her mom. My heart rate picked up at the sight of her looking so perfect standing there, blonde curls falling around her face. My body stilled as I drank in her presence after being away for a few hours, feeling the ache from her being mad at me.

"Sweetheart, what happened?" She rushed out to me, sending another wave of shock through me at the concern on her face. "Get up, baby." She gently ordered and I dumbly obliged.

My focus never left her as she looked me over before turning to her mother. I didn't hear her chastising her for making me fall and I paid no attention to the dull ache in my butt. Silently, I let Ry take me inside and guided us to her room.

"Ry, I'm sorry-" I started after we sat down but a soft palm covered my mouth.

"You didn't sleep last night, did you?" She asked softly, eyes red and sleep deprived.

"You didn't either." I pointed out.

She only smiled and moved back her blanket, getting in then patting the spot beside her. "Come on, we'll talk after."

Without hesitation I removed my shirt and pants. I would've taken off my sports bra too but we were in her parents' home. I took my rightful place beside her and wrapped her up as her face found the crook of my neck. Sighing in bliss, I closed my eyes and fell asleep with a smile on my face.

***

I woke up to find my face buried in the softest pillows ever. It didn't take me long to realise that my pillows belonged to my girlfriend, and I pushed my face further into them.

A sweet giggle came from above me and I smiled before kissing the valley of her breasts. "Sleep well?" That sweet voice asked.

"Mhm hmm." My lips moved up, kissing her chest, neck, chin and then I hesitated my next destination.

Ry saw my struggle and closed the distance herself. "I'm so sorry, Quinbee. I'm sorry for yelling at you, for cursing at you and for walking out. Can you forgive me?"

I looked at her in bewilderment and kneeled on the bed. "I'm the one who messed up and I'm sorry for hurting you, Ry. It's just...when I saw you there with her, I let my thoughts win and I just, I'm sorry. I know you'd never do that to me and I know how much I mean to you. I know it, I feel it. You show me everyday and in my moment of weakness, I accused you. Even though I made it sound like a question, you and I both know what I meant it as. I let myself forget each thing you told me about her and how badly she hurt you. Ry, I never wanna be someone who hurts you and I want to be the person your heart trusts." I let out a breath when I finished and regarded my girlfriend who sat now.

She sighed and wrapped her arms around my neck, her breath fanning beside my ear. I lifted her to sit on my lap before hugging her torso as I waited for her reply.

"I'm so inlove with you, Quinn." She whispered in a broken voice, pressing a kiss under my ear. "Sometimes the force of it makes me feel so...powerless yet so untouchable. I never wanted to fall again, I never even thought I could but then you come along and turned it all around. Do you remember what I said about puzzle pieces?" I nodded against her shoulder, all my attention on her alluring voice. "Your face is all I see. No matter how I arrange the pieces it's always you and that scares me. It paralyzes me with how easy it is for you to hurt me and I only became aware of it last night. How one simple question felt like a punch in the gut and how wrecked I felt to hurt you back."

She moved back and I saw the tears falling. My hand immediately came up to wipe them away. "I feel the same way."

"I know that," her lips trembled. "But I can't help but wonder if..."

"If what?" I coaxed with a quiet voice.

She looked down, her fingers playing with the band of my boxers nervously. "I don't want to make the same mistakes as before. To make you feel smothered with my clinginess or anything like that. So you have to tell me when it's too much and I'll back off. Okay?"

A frown made its way on my face and I carefully lifted her chin to see those amber eyes I fell inlove with. "But I love your clinginess. I love how you sometimes kiss me breathless or find some way or the other to touch me. It makes me feel wanted and like I'm important to you. I love the way you love me since before we even got together. There's times I catch you staring at me like I'm the only thing to exist and I hope that you never stop." I told her truthfully.

"You promise?" She whimpered slightly and the sound broke my heart.

"I promise. Never stop loving me the way you do."

Ry nodded and hugged me again. I tenderly rocked her, letting her cry softly into my neck. Ry had been strong and considerate of me since I met her. From making sure I ate, to being there whenever I had nightmares or helping me find my sisters, she always included me in everything. And now for the first time, I had to witness this strong person fall apart. My heart felt torn between feeling happy she trusted me enough to let me see her vulnerable, and being shattered that my girlfriend hugged me as though I'd disappear.

When the angel calmed down, she unwrapped her arms and wiped away her tears. I kissed both of her cheeks before doing the same to her puffy lips. "Even in your most vulnerable state your beauty is unrivalled." I murmured, feeling accomplished when her cheeks turned pink.

"Stop that." She groaned in fake annoyance.

I only smiled and kissed her again.

After we got dressed, we went to the kitchen, passing her moms in the living room. The nice one sat reading a book, free hand playing with the other one's hair while she watched t.v. I scowled when I saw the puppy and another dog laying near the coffee table, not liking having him. Ry smiled at them and pulled me towards the kitchen.

"Your Ma got me a dog."

Ry rolled her pretty eyes as she made us sandwiches. "Yeah, she gets everyone dogs."

"I don't like them, one bit me when I was nine. I didn't even do anything and it just bit me." I muttered, remembering little me running away from the thing.

"So bees and dogs, huh?" Ry teased with a sexy smirk.

I walked behind her and held her from behind, my face finding her hair. "Don't make fun of me."

She hummed and turned, bringing a sandwich to my mouth. I took a bite and went to sit down while she made more.

"Oh, you're up." Mrs Matthews came in, puppy in her hand. "Think of a name yet?" The question was meant for me.

I shook my head, pouting Ry's way. "Peanut."

"Peanut?" Both mother and daughter asked.

"Yeah, I don't like peanuts." I grumbled, eyes on the puppy that stared at me.

-E