Chapter Five

RILEE POV

My feet thumped loudly on the path I ran, dodging other runners as I went. It's been two weeks since I came back and this morning for the first time, I woke up thinking about my ex. I didn't know why. Or maybe I did. Today would've made it exactly three years since we met. We became friends before we started dating, then gradually it developed into more. I had an instant attraction to her, but I waited before acting on it.

I sped up when I remembered the first time she told me she loved me. The smile she had on and the way she looked at me. Like I was all she saw. I bit my tongue thinking of our first time together, everything felt so damn right. Another memory of the time I made her go skinny dipping came, she did it only for me. She couldn't even swim but still got in the water because I asked her to.

How does it go from that, to her fucking her best friend?

Why did it still hurt so much?

I stopped and bent with my hand on my knees, trying to catch my breath. Everyone saw it but me. My moms, my brother and my best friend. But I refused to see it, too caught up in being in love. Not that it was all bad, Brittany had a lot of good traits that made me fall so deep. She just hid the bad ones really well. I shut my eyes and stood upright, placing my hands behind my head and linking my fingers, I forced the memories of her away.

Then the memory of her head between her best friend's legs surfaced. I couldn't stop the tear that fell. I felt so fucking stupid for being so blind.

Wiping the tear away, I let out a frustrated scream. People stopped and stared at me but I didn't give a shit. My heart was shattered and trust broken. I sat on a nearby bench until my mind cleared up.

She wasn't worth it.

I stood once more and jogged my way home. It was now 7:30am, and I didn't have to be at the studio until 9am. I walked to the kitchen and started on breakfast.

During the past two weeks, I barely saw Quinn much less spoke to her. On lucky days she actually threw a 'good morning' my way but, even those were few. I didn't feel comfortable living with someone and not having some type of interaction with them. I at least wanted to know the girl, be acquaintances if not friends. I did know she always left at 8:30 each morning so I made extra for her too.

Just as I plated out the food, I heard her bedroom door shut. She emerged from around the corner in her usual band t-shirt and jeans, messing with her hair as she did. My eyes landed on her feet, a small smile formed when I saw she wore slip on shoes rather than those with laces.

"Good morning." I greeted her.

Quinn paused her fight with her hair and looked in my direction. "Good morning." She went back to her hair. I honestly don't know what she tried to do, because in the end it looked the same. The girl sighed with a bit of frustration.

"I made breakfast." I poured myself a cup of coffee then some juice for her, when I remembered seeing her drink juice one morning.

The quiet girl looked around the apartment before bringing her eyes to me. "Sweet." She turned and started to the door.

"Quinn!" I rushed out when I realised she was leaving.

"What?" She scrunched her nose when she turned back.

I took a second to note how adorable she looked. "I meant, I made for both of us."

"Oh. Why?" She frowned in confusion, like she didn't believe I would do that.

"I wanted to do something nice." I smiled at the girl.

"Why?" She asked again.

I exhaled through my nose, not knowing what to say. "Come on, let's eat." I pushed one of the plates and the juice towards one of the stools.

She twisted her mouth to the side before slowly walking over. Quinn stared at the eggs and bacon, then picked up the plate and glass before going over to the dining table. I smiled and decided to join her. Sitting across from her, we both ate in silence.

"What do you do?" The dark haired girl asked quietly.

I didn't reply right away, a little shocked she asked me a question. "I'm a photographer. I run Shutter Me."

"That famous studio in town." She stated, her gaze looking out the window.

"Yeah." I kept my eyes on her, attempting to figure this girl out.

She finished eating and began twirling her fork in her hands. Her teeth chewed on her bottom lip as her gaze focused on her plants outside, and for the first time I noticed the deep dimples on her cheeks. She didn't need to smile for them to show, they were that deep. I swallowed my last bite and took a sip of my coffee.

"What made you come to Crestville?"

I watched her eyes slowly make their way to me. Those two different colors focusing its attention on my face, but not for long. She dipped her gaze to her empty plate. "Fresh start." She shrugged that one shoulder lightly. "I get paid tomorrow, I'll reimburse you for the groceries." She added.

A smile tugged at my lips then. "That's ok, we'll take turns. I bought this time and next time you will."

"Will you always cook for me too?" She lifted those sparkling eyes of hers once more, a curious look in them.

"Would you like me too?" I smirked her way. Her cheeks tinted pink as she looked away, a subtle nod given in response to my question. "Then I will."

There was something innocent about this girl. I couldn't put a finger on it yet but, she didn't seem shy. Maybe soft spoken and quiet but not shy. Probably someone who just kept to herself.

I drained my cup and placed it next to my plate. As soon as I did, Quinn glanced my way then got up. She put my empty plate on hers and held the glass and mug in her other hand. She made her way to the sink without a word and did the dishes. I sat silently as I watched her.

She dried her hands and left for her room. Two minutes later she came back out, I still sat in my chair. Figuring she was now leaving, I stood up with the intention of getting dressed for work. I was about to enter my room when she came up behind me.

"R-Rilee?" My name left her mouth hesitantly.

I faced her with a smile. "Yeah?"

"Thanks for breakfast." She stood a little close to me but still at a respectful distance, that dimple of hers on display.

"You're welcome, Quinn."

"Sweet." She turned and left without saying goodbye.

The front door shut, signaling her departure.

-E