Chapter Thirty Four

RILEE POV

Quinn pulled up behind Kaiden but I noticed she didn't make any move to get out. I got out and picked up the bag of pastries, then rounded the truck to get my girl. "Come on." I opened her door and nodded towards the house.

"Okay, but don't leave me alone." She hesitantly exited her truck.

I shook my head but smiled effortlessly. "Never."

Quinn grabbed our two duffle bags from the back seat and the four of us started to the front door. To be honest, I felt nervous to introduce a significant other to my family. I didn't think I would be doing this again, at least not for some years. But this was Quinn and with Quinn, everything came so naturally. Quinn made an effort without even realizing it, she didn't even have to try very hard and I'd fall for every word spoken or action taken.

I stood directly in front of my nervous girl and reached for her lips with mine. Courage, for the both of us. "Relax, okay?"

With wide eyes Quinn nodded, mumbling something that sounded like 'fudge nuggets.' I gave her a look to which she lazily shrugged at.

Sadie opened the door shouting, "we're home!"

This wasn't out of the ordinary, the girl's been in this family long enough to be considered one of us. I made Quinn put our bags down just as Ma came out.

"Finally, everyone's outside and waiting to eat. Did you guys bring the pastries?"

"Right here, Ma." My best friend answered and took the bag from me, walked around my mother and gave me a thumbs up before disappearing.

Kaiden and Ma hugged briefly but weirdly because of the two brown bags he held, before he followed his crush out to the backyard. Great, both my brother and best friend abandoned me.

"I thought you were bringing Quinn. Who's this one?" Ma put her hands on her hips, eyeing my girlfriend and ready to criticise.

"This is Quinn." I reached behind me for the girl who was basically using my body as a shield.

Ma laughed, "No, she's not. Quinn has long hair and looks down." She pointed to her feet with her finger. "Wait," she squinted her eyes before shouting, "Kailee, love! Come see this!"

I tried to catch Ma's eyes but she was too busy bouncing in her place, watching my girlfriend with a weird look on her face. In moments like these, I wish she'd actually be more strict or actually act like she ran the police force.

"Ry," Quinn spoke quietly. "Why is she looking at me like that?"

Before I could even form a response, my mom came in. "What is it, Riv?"

"Look, look at her eyes. It's two different colours." Ma pointed at my girlfriend.

Mom swatted her hand down with a stern look. "She's not a puppy, River. Rilee, Quinn, come on to the back."

Taking my girl's hand, I followed my mom out while sending a glare to my Ma. Everyone seemed to be here except my aunts Cam and Bri and my cousins Miranda and Jessie. I easily spotted my uncles James, Edward and Ryan laughing loudly and certainly pissing off my aunts and grandparents from both sides. My aunts Dana, Skylar and Chloe sat with my grandparents, giving the loud ones the stink eye. Kaiden and Sadie were sitting at another table with the twins, Parker and Colin.

Letting my parents walk ahead, I made eye contact with Quinn. "You ready, sweetheart?"

"Yeah." Her words were positive but her head shook negatively.