Chapter 14- Vendetta Pt. 3

(Caleb's P.O.V.)

I'm leaning on the front of my desk, looking at Ironwood. 

Caleb: What do you want to talk about, General? 

Ironwood: I want to talk about a certain person who's going around and terrorizing the Schnee Dust Company. More specifically, their shipments. Costing them a lot of money. 

Caleb: Are you referring to the Dark Warrior? 

Ironwood: That I am. 

Caleb: Why come to me about it? 

Ironwood: I was only wondering if you knew anything about the Dark Warrior. 

Caleb: What makes you think I know anything? 

Ironwood: There's quite a bit that would lead me to believe you know something. But I'm going to stick to the most incriminating. 

I cross my arms and stare at him with anticipation for his reasoning. 

Ironwood: We both know how much the SDC has been affected by the Dark Warrior. The amount of shipments that have been blown up. The amount of money that has been wasted requiring those resources again. Been hitting them hard. 

Caleb: I bet it has. Can't be too easy to deal with something like that. 

Ironwood: It isn't. And that's precisely my point. Your company hasn't had to deal with anything. Your company hasn't been hit by the Dark Warrior at all in the short week and a half they've been active. Your shipments have been untouched. Your profits have been unscathed. 

Caleb: So, what? You think my company's behind them? 

Ironwood: That is a possibility I haven't ruled out. There is sure a lot of suspicion when it comes to that point. It would also make sense. Sabotage the opposing company so yours would be the only one left standing. Your company would be the only one selling dust, meaning major time profits. It's smart. 

I want to push myself off of this desk and get his face. Confront him for those accusations. I'm not doing it for any of that. 

Caleb: Would be smart if it was actually true. But unfortunately for you, your accusations couldn't be more wrong. 

Ironwood raises an eyebrow. 

Caleb: Nobody in this company knows who the Dark Warrior is. And the thought that you would accuse my company, my fathers company, of something like that is absolutely appalling. 

Ironwood: Is it?

Caleb: You're damn right it is. I hate Jacques Schnee, that doesn't have to be a secret. But Weiss is my friend. There's no way I'd do anything to destroy her life like that. And if I found out that any of my employees are behind the Dark Warrior, they will be dealt with swiftly, and you'll be the first person I tell. 

Ironwood stares at me, seemingly studying me as I stare right back into his eyes. 

Ironwood: Okay, then. I'm sorry for taking up your time. And I'm sorry for interrupting your and Ms. Schnee's meeting. 

I nod at him. 

Caleb: I get it. You gotta cover all possibilities. 

Ironwood: I'll take my leave. 

Ironwood exits the room, closing the door behind him. 

I move around my desk and sit in the chair, looking back at the door as Gyoe comes walking back in. 

Gyoe: How'd it go? 

Caleb: I lied. I lied to him about everything. 

Gyoe: The only thing you could do.