Chapter 20- Inescapable Pt. 2

(No One's P.O.V.)

The students are filing out of the cafeteria right behind Manny. 

Lucas and Alexis are both looking at Caleb as he stares out at the red mist. 

Lucas: Caleb, come on! We gotta get out of here! 

Caleb continues staring at the red mist as he responds. 

Caleb: No. I'm not leaving. 

Alexis: What? How could you say that knowing what the red mist has done? 

Lucas: Alexis is right, man. Staying here is insane. We need to get out of here while we still can! 

At this point the last of the students that were in the cafeteria filed out, walking toward the back exit of the school, accompanied by other students that came from other parts of the school. 

Manny then addresses the three of them. 

Manny: Are you three coming? We need to get all students to the back door and out of the school! 

Lucas: Yeah, we'll be there. 

Manny nods and goes walking down the hall. 

Caleb stands up while still fidgeting with his watch, looking at them. 

Caleb: You two should get going. The red mist is approaching fast. I wouldn't want you two to be caught in here, too. 

Alexis: What is this about? Why don't you want to leave? 

Caleb: Because I can't. Because this red mist has done enough to damage to a lot of peoples lives, and it won't be allowed to continue. 

Lucas: What are you talking about? 

Caleb: You wouldn't understand. I don't even know if you'd believe me. Let alone what you'd think of me. 

Alexis: What is that supposed to mean? 

Caleb: It means, I've been tracking this red mist for a while. Studying it and trying to figure out the best way to stop it. I've been to a lot of places and talked to quite a few people about it. Now, after a long time of thinking, I think they were right. The only way to stop it migh be from the inside.

Lucas: Okay. And looking past all of that, how do you expect to fight whatever's inside the mist? Which is still a big theory. Nobody has any idea what it is.

Caleb looks at the red mist, seeing it getting closer, before looking back at Lucas. 

Caleb: That's the part where I don't know how you'd react if you found out the truth. 

Alexis: I'm sure it can't be that bad. 

Caleb: That depends. But that doesn't matter right now. You two need to get out of here. 

Lucas: Not happening. No way am I abandoning my friend. 

Alexis: This may be the scariest thing that I experience in my life, but it'll be worth it. 

Caleb steps over the bench, looking out at the red mist, seeing it beginning to envelop the parking lot and the front of the school, quickly making its way to the rest of the school. He then looks back at Lucas and Alexis. 

Caleb: As my friends I don't want anything to happen to you. This is going to be dangerous. And I don't want either of you caught up in it. So, please. Go out there and join the others. Let me deal with this. 

Lucas: Looks like it might be too late for that. 

He gestures to the window with his head. Caleb looks to it, seeing the red mist quickly enveloping the area around the cafeteria.