Chapter 19- Inescapable Pt. 1

(No One's P.O.V.)

Caleb Sieks is sitting on the bleachers outside at his schools football field. Gym class usual takes place out here with some type of game or activity, but with the pep rally so close, the gym teachers have allowed the students who are participating some time to practice. The cheerleaders, the football players, and the students who have the unfortunate privilege of being the mascots.

Caleb is fidgeting with his watch while watching the cheerleaders. Well, one in particular. Alexis Moyles. She's currently in the middle of practicing a routine with her squad. 

Caleb looks down at his watch right as another guy sits down next to him. 

???: Hey, Caleb. 

Caleb glances over at him before looking back down at his watch. 

Caleb: Hey, Lucas. Aren't you supposed to be down there with the team? 

Lucas: I was. But we're switching in and out players right now. Seeing what roster works with what formation, and who's the best in those formations. Just a bunch of work to put together the perfect team. 

Caleb: How's that going? 

Lucas: Well, I think it's safe to say that you'll definitely be seeing me out there at the game. We're all thinking that we have a pretty good thing going with the current roster we're trying out, but the coach is considering options. We've got a few days. 

Caleb: Well, I hope that your team manages to bring us the victory. 

Lucas: Thanks. 

Caleb glances back at Alexis before looking back down at his watch. 

Lucas: Why don't you just ask her out? 

Caleb looks at him, pausing what he's doing with his watch. 

Caleb: Do you really think she'd say yes? 

Lucas: She might. Alexis isn't one of the cheerleaders who just go after the jocks. That's at least what it seems like. 

Caleb: That gives me hope. 

Lucas: More than you had before, right? 

Caleb: I suppose. 

Caleb then looks back down at his watch, continuing to fidget with it. 

Lucas: Something wrong with your watch? 

Caleb: Not particularly. Doing this just helps to pass the time. Got nothing better to do right now. 

Lucas: Guess you're right. You know, except checking out your crush. 

Caleb sighs. 

Lucas: Oh, right. Did you hear about that latest incident? 

Caleb: What happened this time? 

Lucas: Whatever that red mist is, it claimed more victims. 

Caleb: Always sad to hear. Where was it this time? 

Lucas: The middle school. 

Caleb: That's not that far from here. 

Lucas: Yeah. That's the scary part. Well, scarier part of this whole situation. 

Caleb: I hope we can figure out what's going on with this thing. You know, the people who are in charge of that sort of thing. 

Lucas: Those would be some unfortunate people. 

Caleb: Very. 

Gym class ends and everybody goes back inside, going to their next class. 

Cale is now sitting at a table in the cafeteria. He's going through various news reports of what happened at the middle school with the red mist. Same things happened with the other places this red mist surrounded. After it disappeared and the authorities went inside, they found that everybody had disappeared. Right out of thin air. Nobody could ever figure out what was causing it. They knew it was the red mist, but they didn't know what it was about the red mist that was causing it. Some consider it not of this world.