Chapter 44 - Smitten Pt. 2

Caleb is off to the side of the dorm building, leaning on a tree with his arms crossed. 

Mark comes walking out to him. 

Mark: Uh... you good out here? 

Caleb: Just thinking. I'm fully expecting Cardin to challenge me. But should I also expect him to try to get his entire team involved? 

Mark: Knowing him, that might be a possibility. Don't think you're afraid, though.

Caleb: Not for me. Even with the four of them together, they're mediocre at best. No possible idea as to how they got accepted here. There's only one thing I'm thinking about. Do I make it quick or draw it out? 

Mark: Good question. How much are you trying to impress Velvet. 

Caleb glances at him before letting out a laugh and looking down, nodding. 

Caleb: I know which one I'm going with. 

Mark: Great. Now let's go get ready for class. 

Now inside of the hallway, Coco and Velvet are walking toward Glynda's classroom. 

Coco: Aren't you thankful for this free period? It's perfect timing to watch Caleb fight, right?

Velvet: I guess, yeah. 

She looks off to the side with a smile. 

Coco: I can tell you're excited for this. You don't have to hide it. 

Velvet: Okay. Maybe I am. 

Coco: And it might be a perfect time to ask him to the dance. 

Velvet lets out a sigh. 

Velvet: Maybe. But if I do, I'll wait until after class. No way am I doing it in front of everybody. 

Coco: That's fair. 

Now inside of Glynda's classroom, everybody is sitting in their seats as she stands with her tablet on the sparring arena. 

Glynda: Well, it's about that time. Are we going to have a rematch of last class? 

Cardin then stands up. 

Cardin: I actually have a better idea. My team and I want to fight Caleb. 

Glynda: I don't think that's going to happen. These spars consist of one student going against another. 

Caleb then stands up. 

Caleb: What if I want to accept? 

Glynda: Well, if you're willing, then that changes it entirely. 

He then nods at her. 

Glynda: Very well. Then it shall be team CRDL going against Caleb Sieks. 

Team CRDL are now standing opposite Caleb in the sparring arena. 

Cardin: You're in for it now. We were just taking it easy on you before. Now is the real deal. 

Caleb: Well, Cardin, you sound really eager to get your butt kicked officially. 

Cardin grits his teeth. 

Glynda: Begin! 

Team CRDL go charging at Caleb as he watches them. 

Once they get in a close vicinity, Caleb spins his staff before grabbing it with both hands and slamming one of the ends into the floor, sending out a shockwave that sends the four members of CRDL flying off into different directions. 

Up on the screen above, team CRDL's auras all go down by about a quarter. 

Cardin and Dove get right back up, charging toward Caleb with their weapons. Easily parrying one and ducking under the other, he swings his staff into Dove's back, sending him stumbling forward into Cardin. He then blocks Sky's attacks, using his staff to manipulate him into the way of Russell's attack.