Chapter 21- Inescapable Pt. 3

(No One's P.O.V.)

Alexis and Caleb are sitting on a bench in the cafeteria. Caleb has his head in his hands as Alexis has her hand on his back. 

Caleb: I can't believe this actually happened. That Lucas is actually gone. 

Alexis: Neither can I. I mean, I don't think I ever believed that the red mist could attack the school. 

Caleb: I thought there was a chance it could. I tried preparing as best as I could for it... but I guess it wasn't enough. 

Alexis: Hey, don't sell yourself too short. You put up a good fight against it. And even though Lucas was lost, the rest of the school got out safely. 

Caleb: I suppose that's a good thing. 

Alexis: And I'm also here. You didn't lose me. 

Caleb looks up at her. 

Caleb: Which I'm very thankful for. But that also begs the question. Why did that thing let you and me escape? It usually doesn't leave anybody behind. 

Alexis shrugs her shoulders as the principle and vice principle come running into the cafeteria, accompanied by a few police officers. Alexis and Caleb stand up, causing Caleb to clutch his stomach as he winces in pain. An officer goes over to Caleb and hooks his arm around himself. 

The scene then cuts to outside where Caleb is sitting on the edge of an ambulance, being tended to by an EMS, who's just getting finished bandaging his stomach. Caleb nods at the EMS right before they go walking off as he puts down his shirt.

Alexis comes walking over to him, sitting next to him. 

Caleb: Let me guess. Reporters who want to know how we survived are on their way. 

Alexis: Not just them. Everybody in the school wants to know. And I don't blame them. We're the only two people to ever walk out of that red mist. 

Caleb: I'm sure they can't wait for their story. Too bad there will be none. 

Alexis: What do you mean? 

Caleb: There are more important things to deal with than a news interview. Like finding out anything I can about what was in that red mist. That... humanoid thing. And maybe see if there's a way to bring back Lucas and everyone else it's taken. 

Alexis: How are you going to do that? 

Caleb: No idea. But I'm going to search until I got nothing left. Lucas deserves that. 

Alexis: Then I'm going to help you. 

Caleb: I can't ask you to do that. I don't want the possibility of losing you, too. 

Alexis: There might be no way of preventing that. 

Caleb looks at her with curious look on his face. 

Alexis: We don't fully know how this red mist works yet. Just because it let us escape once doesn't necessarily mean it won't come back for us. There could be a possibility it does. And if it does I feel like it would be safest if I was with you. Besides, I'm curious as to how you came about that watch. 

Caleb sighs, looking back in front of him. 

Caleb: I guess you do have a point. 

He looks back at her. 

Caleb: Can you keep a secret?

Alexis: Yeah, of course. 

Caleb: All right. Come on.