Chapter 47 - Attachment Pt. 2

Mark and Kelly are in the living room. He hands her one of the shotguns. 

Kelly: What's the plan for us? 

Mark: We're the backup. Our job is to patrol the house, keep an eye out for anything strange, and be there just in case they need us. 

Kelly: I suppose that's all we could really do, huh? Caleb's already been chosen to be the main bodyguard. 

Mark: Yeah... she did choose him pretty quickly...

He trails off as he stares off into space. 

Kelly lets out a sigh. 

Kelly: Don't think too hard about it. Might strain yourself. 

She smiles at him as he looks over at her. 

Mark: Wait... does she have a thing for him? 

Kelly nods at him. 

Kelly: Yeah. I'm the one who talked her into choosing him. Thought it'd be a good time for something to happen between them. 

Mark: And what makes you think he has the same feelings for her? 

Kelly: Hmm, I don't know... Call it sister intuition. 

He lets out a slight laugh. 

Mark: Well... I don't exactly have a sister, so I can't really confirm if that is a thing. 

Kelly: Trust me. It is. 

Mark: I guess I'll just take your word for it. Now let's get to it. 

She nods before they split up. 

Later that night, Ashley is sleeping soundly in her bed while Caleb sits tiredly in the chair. He lets out a yawn before rubbing his eyes, tapping the metal rod against his legs. 

That's when the blue gem of Ashley's necklace starts glowing dimly, catching his eye. Then he notices the black figure emerging from a dark corner, approaching Ashley. 

He goes to stand up, only for the figure to flick his wrist and send him flying across the room, crashing through the closet door. 

Ashley jolts awake, sitting up to look at the closet before noticing the figure approaching her. She scoots back against the wall, cowering as the figure steps over the salt line, reaching toward her. 

It's just about to touch her, when the metal rod comes flying in from the side, piercing through and dispelling the figure before it clatters off of the wall to the floor. 

Caleb pulls himself up, leaning against the doorframe of the closet, holding his right arm as he winces in pain. He looks at Ashley. 

Caleb: You okay? 

She nods at him. 

Ashley: Yeah...

Mark and Kelly come rushing into the room quickly. They look in between them. 

Mark: Looks like we missed something. 

Kelly: Are you both okay? 

Caleb: I'm not the one who matters here.

Kelly sits down on the bed, scooting back next to Ashley to hold her. Mark glances down to notice the metal rod on the floor by the bed. 

Mark: Did it step over the salt? 

Caleb: Yeah. Didn't stop it at all. 

Mark: Did you throw the rod at it? 

Caleb: Yeah, I did. It threw me into a closet. But I know that's going to piss it off.