13 | Spill the Tea

Emmaline Vance was regularly caught off guard by her daughter. When it came to her abilities, quidditch, sometimes just the questions she'd ask often had Emmaline wracking her brain for answers.

But this time, she had known it was coming. She just didn't expect Naia to beat her to it.

Emmaline swiftly turned to look at her daughter and was just about to speak when her mother came out of the kitchen.

"Oh welcome home you two! Come here, Naia! You're so grown up now- oh!" Her nana said as she went to hug the girl. Naia smiled and hugged her back.

"It's good to see you, nana."

"I've made some pastries. Why don't we get some tea and eat some scones before you go decorate the Christmas tree? Left it empty so we could do it together like we used to back in Hawaii..." Her nana said. She rarely got to visit but always tried to make it for the holidays.

"Sounds good, nana!" Naia smirked and looked back at her mum. Emmaline narrowed her eyes at her daughter. She just dropped a bomb and was not about to have scones with her mother-

"Emmaline, go put Naia's trunk in her room, will you?"

Emmaline scoffed, "She can do that herself."

"Just use magic, she can't use it because she's underage. The girl just came from school!"

Naia looked at her mother in amusement as Emmaline grumbled, bringing Naia's trunk to her room with magic. "Stupid grandparents favoring their grandkids, I swear the favorite child is back..."

Her Nana watched Emmaline in amusement. "I've missed her terribly but she's been driving me crazy."

"She's been driving YOU crazy?" Naia asked in amusement. Nana shook her head. "Don't believe a word your mother says about me. She's always had a knack for trouble that one. So, how was your first year at Hogwarts?"

Naia and her grandmother chatted for hours over tea and scones. Emmaline had joined them shortly and laughed along at some of the stories Naia shared of the time she's spent with the twins.

"Reminds me a lot of your mother's old friends..." her grandmother looked at Emmaline knowingly. At the mention of her mother's friends, Naia's smile died and she took another sip of her tea.

They had decorated the Christmas tree together like old times, and Naia was fine with setting aside her questions for the rest of the day. She knew her nana had missed her dearly, and wanted to spend more quality time with her now that she went to Hogwarts.

Dinner rolled around, and Emmaline and Naia sat by the fire. They had just bid her grandmother goodnight. The silence was almost deafening for Emmaline as Naia sipped her tea.

"Alright, would you just spit it out already."

Naia looked at her mother in amusement. "Not so fun being left in the dark now is it?"

Emmaline looked at Naia pleadingly.

Naia sighed. "I know Sirius Black is my father." Emmaline was stumped, and spilled a bit of her hot tea on herself.

"Oh- shit! God!" She sighed, putting the tea on the table. She looked at Naia. "How did you find out?"

"So it's true then? A mass murderer is my father and you just kept it from me my whole life."

"Naia, it's not exactly something you'd tell a child now is it..."

"No but it's the truth! What's more confusing is you've lead me to believe my father was dead, and that he was a good man!"