32 | Mermaids and Gillyweed

That night, Fred Weasley and Harry Potter barely slept a wink.

They ended up falling asleep on the couches of the common room as they waited for Naia, Hermione, and Ron to return.

"Where the bloody hell are they!" Fred exclaimed, walking with George and Harry to the black lake- rushing more like. They overslept and awoke to George nudging them hastily.

"Dunno, but I've gotta get my butt down there quick," Harry huffed, rushing alongside them. He had no idea what to do for the task. He had to forfeit, he had absolutely no plan. Just then, the three boys heard a crack and Dobby appeared before them, carrying a sack of plants.

"Harry Potter! Harry Potter needs to hurry-"

"It's too late, Dobby!" Harry moaned hopelessly. "I'm not doing the task, I don't know how-"

"You're joking, Potter!" Fred exclaimed.

"Harry Potter will do the task! Harry Potter must go into the lake and find his Wheezy-"

"Find my what?"

"Take his Wheezy back from the merpeople!"

"What's this elf on about?" George asked. The twins had known something must've been taken from Harry, but they've forgotten all about that.

"Your Wheezy, sir, your Wheezy-Wheezy like them!" Dobby pointed to Fred and George, who looked at each other in confusion. "The one who had given Dobby his sweater!"

"What?!" Harry gasped in horror. "They've got Ron?"

"The thing Harry Potter will miss the most! And the young Miss! The young Miss, sir! But past an hour-"

"-the prospect's black," Harry uttered in horror, "too late, it's gone, it won't come back..."

Fred's eyes widened in realization and disbelief. "You mean to say that Naia and Ron are at the bottom of the goddamn lake?!" he choked in a panic, pulling at his hair and pacing back and forth. "And you have NO PLAN? Potter-"

"Harry Potter has got to eat this, sir!" Dobby handed Harry the plant. "Gillyweed!"

"How is this supposed to-"

"Gillyweed? I've read about that in my book!" Neville chimed next to them, also running late for the task. "It helps you breathe underwater!"

"Neville, Dobby- are you sure about this?"

"Yes, yes it should work!"

"We haven't got another choice now do we, Harry?" Fred panicked, "Eat the damn plant!"

"Okay, okay, let's get a move on."

The boys ran to the Black Lake and the twins joined the crowd as Harry went to stand with the other champions.

"How could they take her into the black lake and just leave her there-"Fred shook his head in frustration. "Whomst the fuck had the audacity to sink Naia at the bottom of the bloody lake? Are they mad?!"

"It's alright, Freddie. Potter's got it."

"But they only take one thing, George. If Ron is Harry's, then what's Naia there for..."

"I don't-"

OH FUCK ME!" Fred exclaimed after a few seconds, realization dawning on him.

"What is it?!"

"Diggory!" Fred bellowed impossibly loud. The Hufflepuff champion and a few other people looked back at him. "You find Naia and bring her back at once, you understand me?!"