Friends

-Continuation of FLASHBACK-

"We did it Marie"

Y/N's heart froze, her blood stop running. Her hands went limp as she let go of Erwin. She looked down at the ground not daring to look at Erwin, tears threatening to escape.

"Marie...Who's Marie?" she asked in a whisper.

Erwin stood in shock, he couldn't believe the name that slipped out of his mouth.

"I-"

Y/N lifted her head, a sorrow smile placed on her lips. The light in her eyes dimmed down.

"It's ok, you were just excited sorry I asked"  

"Right" Erwin mumbled.

He felt Y/N hold his hands in her's.

"Congrats Erwin, I'm really proud of you" she smiled up at him.

Erwin gazed at her face. He could feel her hands cold, damp and trembling. He expected her to call him blondie, but what can he expect now that he messed things up.

"I'm really proud of you too, Y/N. We've made it so far. We're so close. Just imagine the day Shadis calls one of us into his office and promotes us to Commander"

"Can't wait for the day Commander Erwin Smith" she lightly teased, trying to fight off the tears

"Right back at you, Commander Y/N L/N"  he said as he let go and patted her top head.

Y/N threw him another weak smile and slowly excused herself from her best friend.

--

Y/N found herself sitting in front of the fireplace of the library. Tears streamed down her face, but quickly dried as she stuck her face close to the fire, so they would disappear before anyone saw them.

A figure plopped down next her. Too upset, she didn't even bat an eye to see who it was.

"Your gonna burn your face sticking it out so much into the fire" said the voice next to her.

"and so what"

"tch, I'm only looking out for you"

Y/N turned to face Levi. Her face mixed with so many emotions.

"Since when do you give a shit" she dead-panned at him.

Levi didn't reply. He only held out the cup he had in his hand offering it to her.

Y/N shook her head. Levi wasn't one for confronting someone, so he grew annoyed and impatient at the girl who kept declining it. He pushed Y/N down at the floor and gripped her mouth making it open, with that he poured the warm liquid into her mouth.

Y/N began coughing at the sudden liquid that found its way down her throat. Her face scrunched at the taste of it, black tea. 

She continue laying on the floor, looking up at the ceiling.

"I don't like Black tea" she said after a while of silence.

Levi only let out a small chuckle as he began drinking the remaining of his black tea.

They sat in silence. After a while Y/N sat back up and stared back at the fire.

"I'm sorry about your friends"

"I'm sorry about Erwin"

Y/N eyes shot out at Levi's response.

"How'd you-"

"I was around the corner and saw, besides its evident the way you feel for him. You're his little lap dog following his every move, agreeing with every plan he's ever suggested. I'm not even mad at you for the loss of my friends, I know it wasn't your idea, it was his."

Y/N averted Levi's gaze and looked down at the ground. Her eyes gave up and tears began to quietly stream down her face again.

"Your right. I've been so blind, I've been focusing my attention on him and not my goal"

"Well, you just got promoted, you're one step away. I think you still have time"

"Your right, thanks" Y/N said as she wiped away the tears from her eyes.

---

Y/N slowly began to steer away from Erwin and focus on herself. 

When Erwin began questioning her about her distancing, she told him it was so they'd both focus on their goal better. I mean she wasn't lying to him, it was the truth for the most part. 

She began to grow closer to Levi and both ended up becoming close friends. She hate to admit it, but he was a pretty good motivator. Every time she'd even think about running back to Erwin, he would yank her by the hair with no remorse and remind her why she was there in the first place. And thanks to Levi, Y/N only grew and bettered herself.

One day, both advisors sat in the meeting hall. Both Erwin and Y/N were assigned to map out a new formation for Shadis. Y/N sat on the couch, tapping her pen on the notepad as Erwin stood staring at the chalkboard in front of him.

Sighing, not being able to come up with anything he retreated to the couch were she sat. He plopped down and proceeded to lay his head onto Y/N's lap. Y/N flinched and was caught off guard when she found the blonde on her lap. She contemplated wether to push his head off or allow it. His blonde hair taunted her into touching it.

Erwin wanted her to run her fingers through his hair, to hear "blondie", to feel some sort of affection from her. He missed her badly. He couldn't even begin to tell you, the amount of rage and jealous he feels every time he see's Y/N with Levi.

"Erwin, this doesn't look good" she told him.

"We've always done it, what's the problem?! We're best friends aren't we?" he said as he felt offended by her statement.

"Of course Blondie, but I don't think Marie would appreciate this" she retorted.

Erwin sat up, he grabbed Y/N's hand and lunged her towards him. His breathe now resting on her face. Her eyes widen and shook with fear at the new interaction.

"Or is it because you don't think Levi would appreciate this" his voice sounded like venom.

Y/N remained still. Her lips curled in amusement. She threw her head back and let out a laugh.

"You're too much, your gonna make me cry"

She kept laughing as Erwin's stare only grew hard.

When she stopped laughing ,she saw his face and looked down at her hand, she jerked it back and let out a smirk.

"Since you're my best friend, I'll tell you. There's nothing up with me and Levi, However, you shouldn't get mad even if there was. I'm doing this for you and Marie's stake, I don't want there to be an accusation of you sleeping with someone else, plus I'm focused on my goal"

"Y/N, there is no Marie. It was a stupid little mistake. There's only you, just you"

Erwin's stare softened as did Y/N's.

"Erw-"

"I love you, I really do. I just think we have so much on our hands"

Y/N let out a sigh, "Your not wrong..*lightly laughs* your never wrong"

Erwin placed a soft kiss on her forehead, "You'll always be my right hand in everything, I promise"

Y/N smiled, "Best friends forever right blondie?"

"Right Tulip" he grinned.

Y/N's face reddened at the old nickname. She kicked Erwin's leg.

"Hey cut it out!"

Erwin laughed watching his friend flush red, he had definitely missed her. He rose from the couch and was about to bid a farewell when he felt his hand being held back.

He turned to see Y/N. Her face was casted down.

"Can you at least tell me who she is? Please?"

Erwin sighed, he knew the question was going to come sooner or later.

"Alright"