You Must be...

2 YEARS LATER...

You didn't know how you managed to doing it. No body really new actually. Where exactly did you find it in your heart to allow Eriwn to live and continue his dedication for the Survey Corp.

Perhaps you had done it because overall he was an actual fine soldier. But maybe it was because you wanted to prove to Erwin that you would always be the bigger and better person, never allowing yourself to stain your hands with blood over something even as big as that.

But now, none of that seemed to matter anymore.

It was a gloomy day just as that same day. You walked up the hill of grass along with Levi and Jean both at your sides. It was quite except for the sound of squeaky boots from walking on wet grass. 

The three of you stopped as you had finally reached your destination.

"So, the bastard finally died" Levi said

You eyed the grave that read Erwin's name. 

You had allowed the man to at least die like an honest soldier, in battle.

"About time" agreed Jean with Levi.

"You know Levi, I'm glad for one thing" a tiny smile painted your lips.

"Yeah and what's that"

"If it weren't for him. I never would have known that you would have covered yourself in filth in honor of me"

"tch. Shut up" said Levi

He felt himself cringe as he remembered that scene in the pond when he found out you had died.

"And why are we here again?" asked Jean.

"Something about a Commander having to pay respects to their fallin soldiers" you replied

"Well you should be exempt from this dumb fuck"

You can hear Levi chuckle, laughing at Jean's comment.

You stared at the grave.

Erwin, how could it be that when I see your grave I carry such great anger yet such sadness. You could have done so much if you had done things differently. For a second, I thought things were looking up, out there in the forest. All I wanted to do was hug you and start over as friends. After that day, I couldn't even stand to look at you or hear you. I felt sick to my stomach whenever you were in my presence, all I wanted to do was punch you in the face every time I had the chance. You should be thankful I didn't make your life a living hell, that I allowed you to keep your dignity.

Cause one things for sure...you didn't deserve it.

"Umm excuse me" cut a voice.

You turned around to face a woman. She was curvy and carried ginger locks. Her eyes looked dull and her lips were facing downwards as she carried a pale face. She looked like she had  been through hell.

"Yes?" 

"Is this Survey Member Erwin Smith's grave"

"It is"

She sent you a broken smile as a way to thank you for your answer. She walked up to the grave and bent down in front of it, placing the flowers she had in her hand in front of it. 

"Hello again my sweet Erwin" she whispered 

You can see as she smiled at the grave. She looked down trying to hold her emotions in, but failed as she let out a sob, crying as she began to lean her self on the grave.

And it seemed like your mind clicked the pieces of the puzzle together.

"...You must be Marie"

Levi and Jean looked at each other in shock.