Chapter 78

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

⟹⧪⧪⧪⟸

 Katherine had her head on George's shoulder as she stared at the ground. She avoided looking at the bodies and entrance of the Great Hall. Katherine didn't need to see any more dead bodies. If she saw another one, Katherine swore she would go crazy and kill Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Katherine started to feel at ease when all of her friends were in the Great Hall. That meant no one she cared about was dead, right?

Katherine began to hear shouts from the outside of the castle, causing her to get up and walk outside. Her heart stopped when she saw Harry's body in Hagrid's arms. Voldemort and his supporters were smiling and cheering as they walked to the end of the bridge. George took Katherine's hand and squeezed it, trying to make her feel better, but it didn't work.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof your hero is gone. The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family.

"Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

More people came out of the castle as Voldemort, and his Death Eaters started moving closer. Katherine stared at Harry's body, hoping and praying he would show some sign of life, but he didn't. Katherine felt her body heat as she pulled her hands into fists.

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Katherine screamed as she ran towards the wizard. She was stopped by George's arms wrapping around her waist. Voldemort and Bellatrix started to snicker at the sight of Katherine's screams. "I'LL KILL YOU!"

"Kari, stop, please," George whispered in her ear. Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and McGonagall's screams filled the courtyard. The rest of the students, D.A. and Order members, Hogwarts staff, started to spew insults at the Death Eaters.

"SILENCE!" Voldemort cried as he pointed his wand at the crowd. Everyone suddenly stopped yelling. "It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Hagrid resisted at one point but finally laid him on the ground.

"You see?" Voldemort said. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand me now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" Ron yelled, breaking the silencing charm. Everyone on Hogwarts' side started to yell and scream until a second silence was forced onto the crowd.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," Voldemort spat, "killed while trying to save himself —"

Neville ran towards Voldemort, not bearing to hear any more of the man's lies. He was stopped by the wizard and fell to the ground with his wand flying to Voldemort. He threw it aside and laughed at Neville.

"And who is this?" Voldemort hissed. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix cackled. "It's Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," Voldemort said as he looked at Neville, who was struggling to get up. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?"

"So what if I am?" Neville shouted.

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over! Dumbledore's Army!" Neville yelled. The crowd broke the Silencing Charm and began cheering.

"Very well," Voldemort said with a hint of anger. "If that is your choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan."

Voldemort waved his wand, and something flew through the air. The brown material landed in his hand. Katherine saw that it was the Sorting Hat. "There will be no more sorting at Hogwarts School. There will be no more houses. The emblem, shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won't they, Neville Longbottom?"

Voldemort pointed his wand at Neville, causing him to freeze in his spot. Then Voldemort sent the Sorting Hat to Neville and forced it on his head. It covered Neville's head. Katherine and several others tried to get Neville, but a Death Eater sent some sort of blocking spell to prevent them from moving.

"Neville here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me."

Voldemort flicked his wand causing the Sorting Hat to catch on fire. Neville screams echoed through the walls that surrounded everyone. Katherine tried to run for him again, but George held her back. Then, Grawp, Hagrid's half-brother, started to call for his brother, causing Voldemort's giants to attack him. The stomps and shouts of the giants made an earthquake. Centaurs began to run and shoot bows at the Death Eaters.

Katherine smiled when she saw that Neville broke through Voldemort's spell. The hat slid off, and Neville pulled out a silver sword with a rubied handle, the Sword of Gryffindor. As the centaurs and giants fought, Neville ran towards Nagini and cut its head off. Katherine yelled in excitement as she saw the head of the snake drop to the floor.

"HARRY!" Hagrid shouted. "HARRY — WHERE'S HARRY?"

Katherine looked and saw that Harry was no longer in the spot he was lying before. She smiled and started to laugh. The battle was not over, and Harry was still alive.