Special Delivery

The air was sucked from the room like a vacuum. Tension spread across Obito like butter to warm toast. Y/n's breath caught in her throat, and she held it there as she waited for Obito to process her words. She just told him that the woman that raised her was alive. The one they thought had died over twenty years ago. On the same plane as Obito's parents. Shisui's parents. And Naruto's parents.

"He's lying," ah, yes. Denial. Looks familiar to Y/n.

Y/n shook her head slowly, "I confirmed it-"

"How?" He snapped. Taking his frustrations out on Y/n, he continued, "I can't even begin to imagine what you had to do to confirm that that woman would be alive. And you've been keeping it a secret from everyone for over three years?"

Y/n pinned her anger, keeping it at bay like a snake charmer holding the cobra from striking. "After I had Tsuki," she kept her face steady, "I went to Suna-"

"The business trip?" Y/n nodded, so Obito continued, "Did you even have a meeting?" His tone left little doubt that he didn't believe his wife.

"Yes," she defended. "I went to see Kankuro about a drug trial that Itachi and Neji wanted to work on with him."

Turning away from Y/n, Obito ran a hand through his hair before scrubbing his face. "How do you know she's alive?" He finally asked after a tense pause.

Knowing there was no reason to lie any longer about this, Y/n said, "I met her."

Obito spun so fast that Y/n was worried he'd topple over. The distance between them closed in two quick strides as Obito gripped her shoulders. He was raging, "You what?!"

Shrugging his tight grip off, Y/n explained, "I found her after an extensive search in the FBI database. She changed her last name, and she even has a new social security number. So whoever Madara had help with changing her identity was good at it. Once I found her address, I waited. Then, when she went for coffee one morning, I planned to bump into her. Of course, I had to see her face when she saw me. But you want to know what happened?"

Seeing the sad look on her face told Obito what happened, "What?" He asked with hesitation.

"She didn't even recognize me," she let out a belittling laugh, "I was standing right in front of her, and she didn't even know who I was. So I left."

Obito thought for a moment. He supposed it would be hard to see who thought was your mother. And then for her to not even recognize you. It must've been difficult for Y/n. And yet, he held no emotion on the subject because she did it alone. She kept the secret, and the act a secret, for years.

Trying to keep the raging bull at bay, Obito focused on the issue at hand rather than his wife's continued betrayal. "Does she really have the power to bring together the Akatsuki?"

Y/n let out an exhuasted sigh. The breath lay stagnant in the air. The secret beneath the lie was hanging. The debate once again began within her mind. The war raging within her heart. She needed to tell him. She wanted to tell him. But... once she told him that, she should tell him everything.

Going for half-truths, she said, "She had help."

That was enough to make Obito know she was hiding more from him. It was his turn to sigh. Dropping his hold on Y/n's arms, Obito took a step back. His face gave away his emotions. His eyes lost and heart tired. Push. He had to push her to tell him. There was no other way for him to do this. He needed to know.

"Y/n," desperation laced his tone, "You have to tell me everything. If I don't know the facts, I can't help you. I can't come up with a plan to fight this- to fight him. He raised me for the majority of my life. I know him better than anyone. Let me do this. Let me protect you this time."