The Phone

Sitting on the edge of the hotel room bed, Y/n stared at her phone. The phone calls and texts were starting to become too much. Obito only sent her a text twice a day. Every morning, and every night, Obito sent her the same messages. It was endearing, true, but they hurt.

Next was Kakashi. He called multiple times a day now. He kept asking Y/n where she was staying. Refusing to answer the question, Y/n would only tell Kakashi that she was safe. The answer didn't settle well with Kakashi, so he resorted to texting her every four hours.

The day after she saw Kakashi, Zabuza called her. When his name lit the screen, she knew Kakashi had told him. Answering the phone, she braced herself for the questions. The why didn't you call me? Where are you?

'Are you okay?' Was the first thing out of his mouth.

'I'm fine,' was all she offered. 'I'll come see Kikyo tomorrow after work.'

'Work?' He asked.

'Yes, Zabu, work,' she was over everyone questioning her and her motives.

After that, she ended the conversation. She wasn't going to deal with his string of questions. Zabuza was a master at interrogation, and he was proving that as he texted Y/n relentlessly. Especially when she avoided his calls the following day. Then she didn't show up to see Kikyo. Y/n was avoiding everyone.

Until Zabuza showed up at her hotel room door. That was yesterday, and Y/n can't forget the look of disappointment on his face. Zabuza didn't wait for her to speak as he pushed his way into the hotel room.

"Is he still alive?" Y/n joked as she closed the door.

Zabuza scanned the room before turning around, "For now," he replied dryly. "Why didn't you call me?"

Crossing her arms, Y/n took a defensive stance, "I don't need to be treated like a piece of china, Zabuza," she snapped, "I'm not going to break into a million pieces because my husband fucked some piece of trash. He fucked up, and I left. There's nothing more to it. I don't need you and Kakashi checking in on me every hour."

"I am the father to your oldest daughter," Y/n tried to hide her wince, "you owe me answers. And you owe our daughter, as well as Tsuki, your time. Kikyo has been asking about you. I thought you were at the mansion all weekend. Come to find out, you were in Kiri. Alone. For days. The hell were you thinking?"

While her gaze softened, Y/n's expression was tight. "When I left the penthouse, I drove. I kept driving. The next thing I knew, I was in front of Sharky's. I had a cup of coffee and then went to find a hotel room. I stayed in Kiri, in that hotel room, for two days. I didn't have to face life while I was inside that room."

"This is the life you wanted!" Zabuza shouted as he stepped closer. "Don't forget that I offered you a way out."

Throwing her hands in the air, Y/n yelled back, "A way out?! You offered to marry me, again! What good would that have done? Marrying you wouldn't have stopped Madara from escaping from prison. He'd still be after me, Zabuza. Just because we love each other doesn't mean we're meant for each other. Who's to say you wouldn't have done the same thing as Obito?"

"You think I would cheat on you?" The hurt was visible on Zabuza's face.

"I didn't think Obito would cheat on me!" Y/n was nearly red in the face as she seethed. "This conversation is over."

As Y/n went to walk away, she lifted a hand to wave Zabuza off. As she did, Zabuza gripped her forearm, "You're not walking away from me."

Narrowing her eyes, Y/n didn't back down, "The fuck I won't," twisting her arm, she yanked back as she thrust her other hand forward. "Let go of- ahh!"