Always

Obito POV:

No one knows what tomorrow holds. Sometimes the thought brings excitement. Maybe to most, it does. For me, though, it brings nothing but a heavy fear. Not knowing what will happen to my family. My daughters. My wife. That was the only thought in my head when I walked into my penthouse and turned on the news.

'The apparent shooting took place outside the Harbor Hotel in Kiri. We've been told the local authorities, as well as the Kiri FBI, have been in contact with Suna and Konoha. They have not yet released the name of the victim. We have confirmed that one person was killed here today.'

The noise became muffled as the reporter continued to speak. The phone kept ringing. She wasn't answering. Who had met their end in Kiri? I thought someone would have told me what was going on. Then again, no one has kept me in the loop this time around. Being on the outside looking in was frustrating.

The third call was met with the same fate: no answer. Frustrated, I sent a text asking for her to call me.

When I heard the knock on the door, I knew the list of who it could be was short. Glancing at the screen, worry clawed at me. Opening the door, I could see he was a bit reserved, but he didn't seem upset.

"Can I come in?" Kakashi asked.

Stepping back, I said, "Everything okay?"

"Yea," he offered as he entered the penthouse, "I have some information about the shooting in Kiri." He headed for the living room.

Following after him, I readied myself for whatever information he could offer. Sitting across from my best friend, I felt like I was looking at a stranger. We had been through so much together. We had put one another through terrible things. I thought we had come back around, making a full circle. Right now, I felt like we were at a standstill. Just like everyone else in my life.

"It was Danzo," Kakashi rushed out.

I laughed, "What?"

Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair as he say back, "The shooting," he confirmed, "the person killed was Danzo."

I shook my head, "Danzo's been dead."

"No," I stood abruptly at the new voice.

"Asami," I whispered. "What-"

"I was coming here to tell you the truth," she interrupted. "Seems as though Kakashi beat me to it."

I heard Kakashi push to his feet, "You knew?"

I took the moment to take her in. Her hair was loose, framing her face. My fingers burned with the need to tuck the strands behind her ear as I leaned in to kiss her. She wore no makeup today. I found her natural beauty more alluring every day. She was perfect. Her casual clothes told me she was tired. The jean capris on her legs were tight. The layered tank tops, white and green, made her skin seem brighter.

"I did," her words registered with a slap to my senses.

"Maybe we should all sit down," Kakashi always was the rational one.

She smiled lightly as she looked past me. When she moved closer, she looked up at me. I didn't know what to do. She looked hollow. Like a shell of herself. She was gone. Missing. Lost. I wanted to find her again.

Without a word, she went to the couch. The three of us took a seat. The tension loomed as Kakashi, and I waited for Y/n to tell us what she knew. I was still having a hard time believing that Danzo was alive. Who had known? Why wasn't I told? Why did Y/n know?

"Madara's olive branch was to tell me that Danzo was alive," she always had a way with words. Whether that be to make you feel like you're the only man for her, or nothing more than a pawn, she could do both. "I didn't believe him until I confronted Zabuza about it."