Author's Notes & Prologue

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the (me), except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. All characters are fictional and based solely off my imagination thus they belong to me. Anyone resembling anyone you know is of coincidence.

This book contains mature content so beware before you read.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Wake up Emani, you're gonna miss the bus!"

"Shit!"

I jumped out of bed dazed and confused as I heard my Grandma Vi yell up the stairs. Grabbing the outfit that I laid out the night before, I rushed into the bathroom to get ready. Ten minutes later I was dressed and ready to leave. Dragging my suitcases down the stairs was tiring as I had to make at least five trips. When I was finished I walked into the kitchen where my breakfast was sitting in wait.

“Do I have enough time to eat?” I asked checking the time.

It was 6:45am. My grandma had woken me up earlier than expected. I groaned and sat down to eat. I could have gotten more sleep in as the bus doesn't leave until 9.

“Grandma, I don't think I'm ready to be on my own.”

“Of course you are. You are already to independent and mature plus you need this fresh start in your life. I didn't ask your parents to fund this venture if I didn't think you were ready Emani.”

“I know. I took one year off already I can't keep putting off going to college. At least I would be doing something that I love.”

We made small talk until I heard a horn outside. Looking out the front window I realized it was the cab I called earlier.

"I'm going to miss you Grandma you're the only family I have left that actually cares about me."

"You know that's not true baby your mom and dad love you they're just too busy with work that's all."

"Lies." I snorted. "We both know that am the biggest disappointment to them."

"So you made one mistake big deal. This is the time in your life where you're suppose to make mistakes so you can learn and grow from them."

“Thanks grandma I love you." I said giving her a tight hug and kissing her as I know it will be months before I see her again.

I took all my suitcases to the curb and helped the driver load them onto the cab. I waved to my grandmother one last time before I took off. The cab was taking me to the bus station. Although my parents were generous enough to pay my tuition, getting there was a problem all my own. As I boarded the bus and took my seat I took a deep breath and relaxed as I was leaving a place with bad memories behind. I put my headphones in and prepared for the long drive ahead.

Goodbye ATL. Hello New York City.