Epilogue

Emani

"5...4...3...2...1...Happy New Year!"

I was sitting in bed in my New York apartment watching the ball drop and eating chicken take out. I left Atlanta right after Christmas. My parents felt that I was doing the right thing so they supported my decisions for the first time in years which gave me the extra courage to do it. My phone started ringing and it was my grand ma Vi.

"Hey grandma what's up?"

"Just calling to check in on you. Haven't heard from you since Christmas day."

"Sorry been getting some stuff sorted out that's all. How's my baby?"

"Her dad picked her up for the weekend. He starts work tomorrow and wanted to spend as much time as possible with her."

"Oh."

"Are you going to be okay?"

"I think so. Don't worry about me."

"Well okay dear. I'm going to get some rest good night."

"Good night. I love you."

"Love you too."

After she hung up, I saw a picture of Jordan and Kamari come up on the screen. I looked at it for a while and reminisced about the day I took it.

I don't know what the future holds for us but I know the fight is not over. My family will be fixed and I will embrace my happiness at whatever cost; no matter what it takes.

As I turned the tv off, I looked over at the picture of Jordan on the side table.

"This isn't over, the war for you has just begun."