Chapter 37

Emani

"Arghhhhh!"

"It's okay breathe sweedie."

"No it's not. I wish Jordan was here. He is suppose to be here right now."

I've been in labor for the past three hours and missed Jordan's court hearing. I pray to God he got off.

"It's fine sweetie I left the lawyer instructions as to what to do. Just try to relax okay. I'm going to go and make a call and find out what's going on, okay?"

I shook my head as I tried to calm my nerves. I can't do this on my own I needed Jordan. He knows what to do and what to say to calm me down. I closed my eyes and cried till I fell asleep thinking why life was so cruel to me.

I don't know how long I've been asleep but I woke up feeling very at peace. I must have been out for hours. Opening my eyes I saw a figure sitting next to my bed with a hand on my stomach.

"Jordan?! Is that you?"

He turned his head and smiled. I couldn't help but break down. He sat on the bed and laid next to me holding me.

"It's okay baby I'm here now you gonna be fine."

He stroked my hair and kissed my forehead. I felt so sated that I drifted right back to sleep.

Jordan

I felt happy that I was not gonna miss this moment. As I laid I bed with Mani, I started thinking about life and the decisions I made and how they affected everyone around me. Tonight that shit would change. It's all about my girls from now on everything and everybody can wait. Life ain't worth living if I can't spend it with them.

The nurse came in to check Mani so I went in search of my mom who was in the cafeteria.

"Was wondering where you went."

"Just giving you and Emani some space."

"Thanks Ma."

"No problem sweedie. Come on let's go back and check on Mani."

As we walked back to the room we saw nurses and doctors rushing towards the room where Emani was. When we got there they were prepping her for surgery.

"Ayo doc what's going on?"

"The nurse went to check on Ms. Perkins and discovered that the baby is breached and in distress we need to have an emergency c-section right now."

My mind was spinning. My baby girl was in trouble and I'm silently praying she makes it cause it would tear Emani up more than ever if she doesn't.

"If you're going to be in the room you have to scrub up. Nurse take him to get changed."

The nurse pulled me in to a room where she helped me into some scrubs and showed me how to wash up. Right after we hustled to surgical; using my back to push the door open. There was a already a curtain covering half of her body so we were unable to see what was going on. I held her hand and stroked her hair.

The doctors were about to start the surgery.

"I'm scared Jordan."

"I'm here baby I got you. Have some faith okay. You are going to hold our baby soon okay and she will be safe and healthy."

"What if she is not?"

I looked deep in her eyes and kissed her long and hard to reassure her that everything would be fine. Holding her hand I caressed it and tried to calm her down.

"Okay Emani you're going to feel some pressure okay. Just take some deep breaths."

"I can't do this."

"Yes you can baby I'm here I got you come on deep breaths."

She took some deep breaths and braced herself. About two minutes later I heard the doctor say she was out. I felt myself getting emotional as fuck.

"Okay let's get this cord untangled and she shall be good."

A tiny cry pierced the air as our baby took her first breath. I looked down at Emani proud and happy. The nurse was cleaning her up before she handed her to us.

"Here you go, your baby girl weighing in at 7lbs 2ounces."

"See you did it." I smiled at her as she relaxed noticeably and started crying.

The nurse brought her over to us and I looked down at her tiny features amazed. She had my dimples and her mother's nose. Mani couldn't keep from smiling as she held our baby close to her. In that moment I knew I would move the moon if I had to for this little girl.

The doctors were finished with Mani so the nurse took the baby away to be dressed and fed. I left surgical and I went to get cleaned up then back to Mani's room to find my mom waiting.

"How are they?""

"They're fine. She was just breached and tangled in the cord but they got her out in time. Mani is getting stitched up now so everything should be fine."

As if on cue, Mani was being wheeled back in to the room accompanied by the doctor. A nurse soon followed behind with the baby in a bassinet all swaddled.

"Okay I recommend you guys keep it down so that she can rest or the nurse will ask you to leave. Currently she is heavily medicated and her body needs rest."

"Thank you for everything doctor."

"My pleasure and congratulations."

Soon as he left I turned my attention to her. She started fussing so I picked her up and gently rocked her.

"You look like a natural. Let me take a quick picture."

I kissed the top of her head as she began to settle down in my arms. She had me wrapped around her little fingers and she doesn't even know it yet.