it was december.

thanksgiving had come and gone.

briar was stressing about what to get ron for christmas.

she knew she had time to find something, but wanted to start looking early.

she wanted it to be perfect.

this was their first christmas where they were more than friends.

briar was sitting in the library scribbling away at her notes when she felt someone wrap their arm around her.

"whatcha doing?" they mumbled.

"transfiguration work." she looked up to see ron very close to her face, staring down at her lips.

"can i stay and help?" he asked.

"no." she answered quickly.

when she saw the look of surprise on his face she continued, "you'll distract me."

"no i won't." he threw his arms up in defense, "i swear i wont!"

she eyed him suspiciously before reluctantly agreeing.

when he wasn't humming to himself, scribbling on a blank sheet of paper, and or rocking back and fourth on the legs of his chair, he would stare at briar.

he watched her concentrated face as she looked between her notes, textbook, and work parchment.

she blew a strand of hair out of her face as she messily wrote out a paragraph.

he could see her eye bags on showcase in the dim lighting of the library.

"maybe you should take a break-"

"no! i have to get this finished!" she interrupted him.

over the increasing amount of time they had spent together, ron had started to pick up on the fact that briar didn't like to stop things until they were finished.

even if she was hungry, tired, or anything else, she would force herself to get whatever she was doing done, then she could do what she wanted to do.

he thought it was a pretty punishing tactic but she swore it worked.

he couldn't handle his boredom any longer, he scooted closer to her so he could whisper in her ear. "are you almost finished? i'm bored."

"that's it- out." she pointed to the library's exit.

"what?!" he sat dumbfounded. "you want me to leave?"

"yes!"

"this is a public area! i can stay here if i want to."

"fine. then move somewhere else, cause you're distracting me."

"how am i distracting you? i've been sitting here silent and patient up until a moment ago!" he exclaimed loudly.

"i can feel your eyes on me, it's making me nervous!"

ron's annoyance quickly bubbled away, "i make you nervous?" he flirted.

that seemed to have been the final straw. "leave!" she said in a shrill voice.

"alright, alright, fine." he back away slowly from where he just was with her, "will i see you later tonight?"

"yes!" briar yelled, "now leave!"

once she sat back down and started to continue her work, she could feel eyes on her. "ron i told you to-" when she looked up, she was met with the librarian. "oh- i'm so sorry-"