christmas came sooner than anyone had expected.

briar was woken up christmas morning by ginny jumping on her bed.

"wake up! it's christmas!" ginny exclaimed as she fell on top of briar.

"ouch! gin!" briar groaned as she turned over in the bed.

"get up! mum says we can't open gifts without everyone there."

briar rolled her eyes, telling herself she could take a nap later in the day, "fine, fine. i'm up."

she had made sure to put her gifts for everyone under the tree in advance.

as she came down the stairs and into the living room, she looked out the window to see a blanket of snow covering the ground outside.

she instinctively walked over to the window and looked out at the falling snow.

"it's beautiful, isn't it?"

she turned around to see ron standing behind her.

"i've always loved cold seasons more than warm." briar expressed, smiling out at the scene in front of her.

"me too." he agreed, staring out the window as well.

his eyes moved from the window down to briar. examining her eyelashes fluttering as she blinked. the way her smile lines were becoming more and more prominent every second. how her hair was in tangled knots, yet she didn't seem to care enough to brush them out.

he could stare at her all day. even if it meant having to hide his feelings from others.

no matter how hard he could try though, he would never be able to conceal how he felt about her.

how he instantly felt lighter on his feet when she walked into the room, how when he would hear her laugh, it would make his brain release a source of serotonin that was so strong, it took over every sense of him.

in that moment, he realized his true feelings for her.

how he longed to be with her. spend all the seconds he had free, with her.

he truly did adore and love her.

as much as it scared him to admit to himself, with her, it felt alright.

he felt as if, with her by his side, he would never be afraid again.

ron placed his hand on her upper arm, turning her around.

he could feel the hairs on her arm rise from his cold handed touch.

she took in a breath, meeting his eye line.

right as he was about to speak, their moment was cut short.

in a house where there was little to no privacy, they seemed to find their own, while standing in the busiest room in the whole home.

only for it to be cut short.

"alright children!" mrs weasley exclaimed. "it's time to open presents!"

briar looked to her left, with slightly wide eyes and her lips only touching at the ends.

she blushed as she looked over to see ron mirroring her actions.

"guess we should go do that..." ron laughed awkwardly.

smiling at his innocence, she grabbed his hand and walked him over to the tree.

"alright, everyone take their turns opening gifts!" molly beamed at the children.

~

once everyone had opened their gifts and said their 'thank you's', it was time for a late breakfast.