Chapter 8 - On The Road

Kurt

"Dave help her with her bags. Stop being an ass" Krist ordered as they boarded the tour bus the record label had gifted us for the tour.

"You're the ass. And I was gonna help her before you said anything. Unlike some people I'm actually doing something" Dave said with an eye roll as he took a duffel bag and an acoustic guitar into the tour bus.

"Speaking of which, where is Kurt?" Krist asked.

"Thank you guys so much for helping me. This is the last bag" Ashlyn said walking out of her house as I pulled out the last of her luggage. "That should be all"

"Yeah, six pieces of luggage. Rock chick or not, girls will still be girls" I commented. All I got was a playful shrug from her and a smile.

"Four potential months is a long time. Girl has to get settled" She said. I rolled my eyes. "Oh come on, that's pretty rude. You hurt my feelings"

"Get bent" I teased leaving her standing outside with her mouth in agape as I pulled her luggage to the bus trying not to laugh. "Come on in sweetheart, time waits for nobody" I said as I got into the bus after Krist and Dave had gotten in.

"You're a nobody" I heard her mumble as she made her way into the bus.

"You don't mean that" I assured her. She huffed. "Well that's all, anything else?"

"No I guess not. Just switched off all appliances and locked the door. Adios for the next four months my beautiful casa" She said in a dramatic way. I shook my head.

"Speaking of which Ash, we never did hear anything about your parents or your siblings. You live alone right?" Dave said. Ashlyn sighed.

"Well, since I'm gonna be touring with you guys, I believe I owe you the story. And I will tell you all. Over lunch though cause I'm starving!" She declares.

"Fine by us" Dave said. "August, to the nearest fast food chain which isn't Wendy's. Dunno just not really feeling Wendy's recently."

"Good for you man. Kurt, show Ashlyn to her bed and help her get settled down a bit. I gotta take a smoke... outside" Krist said casting a look at Ashlyn who looked up at him with grateful eyes.

Once he was gone, I started a little small talk. "So I'm guessing, you're not a fan of smoking" She shook her head.

"Definitely not. Not just that, sometimes I get incredibly irritated by it I break out in hives especially when in confined spaces." My initially amused expression turned to one of pity. "I'm sorry if..."

"Save it. For you, I'm gonna decide not to smoke inside the bus. Can't have my new band mate getting hives just for some selfish desire" Ashlyn smiled.

"Thanks so much Kurt, you have no idea how much that means to me. But won't you suffer from slight withdrawal?"

"Don't worry about it. It can't be that bad" I said. It's cute how she cared but I was certain I had it all under control.

"Well alright if you say so. So where are we headed?" She said as she finally took her time to look all around the tour bus. "Wow this place is beautiful"

"It is but trust me, with time you'll get sick of it" I assured.

"Well I'm sure you know best, alright Kurt Cobain" She teased. I glared at her playfully. "What?" She asked innocently.

"Next time I hear the word almighty Kurt Cobain. I might just have to take some drastic measures. Might" I declared not entirely sure myself of what I was threatening. But nonetheless, felt good.

Ashlyn raised an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon?"

"Try me girl" I challenged. She raised her hands up in surrender.

"Hey, I'm just a small town girl. I don't want any issues alright" She said with an innocent smile. I narrowed my eyes at her and she responded by poking my cheek. How adorable.

She's adorable.

At this time, Krist had already come back inside and we were already on the road. I showed Ashlyn around, taught her how to use some of the appliances and helped her unpack slightly.

Now we'd all ordered drive thru food from Wendy's (Dave changed his mind) and we were all seated at a makeshift dining table at one of the ends of the bus. Dave and Krist sat on one end while I sat at the other end with Ashlyn.

"So we've eaten, some more than others" Dave started gesturing to all his empty bags and then gesturing to Krist and Ashlyn's half eaten to mine which I'd barely eaten. "Time for the story huh Ash? Or do you mind Lynn?"

"Anything but Lynn please" She said with a small laugh. "And fine. It's not really a story per se."

"We're listening..." I egged. She gave me a funny look momentarily before starting with the "story".

"Well, for starters I haven't always lived in Seattle. I was actually born and raised in Lafeyette, Indiana."

"I knew it!" Dave yelled. Everyone turned to look at him. "Her accent is different."

"Alrighty, how perceptive. Too bad no one cares" Krist shot.

"Right?" She said with a small laugh. "Anyways I lived there with my parents and my elder brother."

"You have a brother?" I asked. She nodded giving me a weird look. "Oh yes, you've mentioned it before I remember"

"Yep, twelve years older than me. Though I haven't seen him in like a decade" She said. I noticed how her voice cracked slightly once she said that.

"Hey, you don't need to tell us the rest of the story if you're not entirely comfortable with it okay?" I assured. She nodded.

"Please don't take it the wrong way?" She asked directing it to everyone but her eyes were only focused on me. I nodded and so did Krist and Dave.

"Go on Ash, how about you go have some rest." Krist suggested. She nodded knowing that was probably what she needed at that moment.

She stood up from her chair, took the leftovers and stuck them in the fridge then went over to her bed space to have some rest.

I watched her filled with pity as she walked away before sighing and turning back to the guys who had smirks on their faces.

"Oh now what?"

"You like her man" Dave pointed out. "And she seems to have a soft spot for you. More so than Krist who she's known for months"

"Yep she definitely has a soft spot for you." Krist affirmed. I sighed. "Right? He should ask her out"

"Michael will absolutely destroy you if he finds out" Krist stated. "On that note, feel free to ask the girl out Kurt" Krist said with a cheeky grin. I rolled my eyes.

"You know what, I think I'll go to sleep as well. Maybe when I wake up things will start making sense" I said not wanting to admit to any of their accusations.

"Sure... by the way you didn't eat" Krist said. I looked at the food and tried not to get nauseous.

"Later. I'm not that hungry" I said. Krist nodded as I retreated to the bed area. I noticed Ashlyn had already drifted off into sleep and she looked cute as h...

No Kurt.

Yes Kurt.

Yes, she looked cute as hell.

And with that thought, I went over to my bed to get some sleep as well. My mind drifted off into what the next few months on the road would be like.

No doubt, it was gonna be epic!