《Rose》The Coder and the Jock

Reviewer: therosepoetk
Written by: sarcasticoffeelover

So first of all, I think the title is pretty nice. I have to admit that it is indeed generic and a juxtaposing play on words, but I think it works in the context of your story. If I’m being fully honest though, I think “The Nerd and the Jock” would suit better. But that’s your choice, so go ahead. The cover is really pretty, I admire the simple aesthetic and the vibe that it gives off. The blurb is well written and gives off just the right amount of detail, but the only thing that bothers me about it is the layout. Work on the spacing, as we don’t want too many words and ideas crammed up into one small space. Anyways, the opening is dramatic, in a sense? I think that it is a pretty interesting way to start, but I just think the coherence moves way too quickly. By this, I mean that sometimes the change of pace is a lot quicker than it is easy to grasp ideas. Perhaps this is just me, but this lessens the general leisure of reading your story more than I’d like. It is also perhaps your grammar that needs some work and touch ups, but the plot itself is rich and emotionally intense. The characters are all diverse and unique, and I like that about them. While Callista does have her own main character moments and spotlight, I’d like to see more of her mature and logical side when it comes to making decisions. (On the contrary, her expressions and actions for her hopeless crush hit the mark in a decently stereotypical manner. If that’s what you’re intending, then consider that a compliment). Other than that, I think your story has a lot of great moments, but also, a lot of room in which I can see you grow and develop as a writer. Keep up the fantastic work Anne!